|Security Officer/Rowan & Cabarrus Counties (Off-Duty Law Enforcement Officer)
||Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
||North Carolina, United States
Admin - Campus Safety And Police
|Security Officer/Rowan & Cabarrus Counties (Off-Duty Law Enforcement Officer)|
Performs a variety of duties to protect members of the college community from harm; provides a high degree of security for College property, and that of students, employees, and visitors. Assists in all types of emergency situations and assures orderly movement of traffic on campus. Enforces state laws, local ordinance and college policies.
|Duties & Responsibilities:|
• Patrols College property on foot or in a security/law enforcement vehicle to protect lives and property.
• Conducts investigation of all accidents, crimes and incidents by interviewing victims, witnesses, and suspects, through the identification and collection of physical evidence, searching person, vehicles and other premises in accordance with legal guidelines.
• Responds to all emergency calls including potentially violent and life threatening situations.
• Provides crime prevention strategies, inspects university property for safety hazards, equipment malfunctions, unsecured doors or other unusual occurrences, refers victims to appropriate college and off-college services, provides directions, escorts, vehicle and battery jump assistance, operates necessary security equipment.
• Controlling and monitoring campus access.
• Responds to fire, intrusion, and security alarms and emergency call stations.
• Assists with emergency drills and exercises.
• Integrates Community Oriented Policing into routine patrol activity and utilizesCOP concepts to resolve problems. Utilizes Scanning, Analysis, Response, and Assessment (SARA) model of Community Policing in collaborative manner to develop, implement, and deliver efficient and effective law enforcement and community services.
• Develops specialized skills related to law enforcement operations in a college campus environment.
• Maintains radio communications at all times.
• Renders immediate and temporary medical aid to injured and or ill persons in emergency situations.
• Intervenes and diffuses crisis interpersonal situations as non-violently as possible.
• Documents all activities and prepares written reports as required by the Department of Public Safety and Security by entering data into the department’s records management system.
• Prosecutes offenders as necessary by filing criminal charges, referral to the appropriate College authorities.
Other Functions Include:
• Attends and represents the Department of Public Safety and Security as assigned at various meetings, events, etc.
• Attends and completes all college-required training.
• Works special assignments.
• Prepares and presents testimony in criminal, traffic, judicial hearings and grand jury.
• Reviews, oversees and assists with the training of less-experienced officers.
• Assist the Events Department with room setup and managing events in the evenings.
|Staff Required Education/Experience:|
• High school diploma or GED and 1 year of full-time recent law enforcement experience.
• Must be an Off-Duty Sworn Weapons Certified Law Enforcement Officer with current certification by either the North Carolina Education and Training Standards Commission or the North Carolina Sheriffs Education and Training Standards Commission.
• Must possess a valid N.C. Driver’s License with a good driving record and must be insurable.
• Knowledge of Federal Laws, North Carolina General Statutes, Rowan, Cabarrus, Salisbury, Concord and Kannapolis county and city ordinances and College policies and procedures.
• Effective communication skills (verbal and written) to interact in a courteous and professional manner with the public, representatives of the legal system, other law enforcement personnel, College officials, students, faculty and staff.
• Ability to prepare written reports and logs of activities with accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to act and direct the actions of others quickly and make intelligent decisions in emergency situations.
• Must work closely with Campus Site Director, Campus Emergency Coordinator and Campus Building Safety Coordinators.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Ability to maintain considerable working knowledge of modern policing principles.
• Ability to adapt to an often-changing working schedule, which may include nights, weekends and holidays.
• Must be able to correctly and effectively use a variety of law enforcement machines, instruments, and tools including: radios, computers, automobiles, emergency and investigative equipment, etc.
• Must have vision correctable to 20/20 and meet color vision requirements.
• Must be able to meet other physical requirements listed by the North Carolina Training and Standards Commissions. May be exposed to hazardous materials, chemicals, explosions or loud noises.
• May be required to drive departmental vehicles for long periods of time.
• Ability to complete A.S.P. baton, Capstun, First Aid, CPR, AED operations. Must qualify and pass State-mandated annual firearms certification courses.
|Faculty Required Education/Experience Skills:|
Sworn law enforcement experience in a school or campus environment.
|Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:|
• Knowledge of College Student Code of Conduct
• Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
|Open Until Filled|
|Special Instructions to Applicants:|