Job Posting TitleLong-Term Temporary Pediatric Nursing (Registered Nursing-RN) Assistant Professor
LocationLos Rios Community College District (American River College)
Department LocationHealth and Education
Founded in 1955, American River College (ARC) is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Sacramento region, serving about 30,000 diverse students each fall and spring at its main campus and centers.
The college has an outstanding record for academic quality and is among the top community colleges in the state for transferring students to the University of California and California State University systems. The College offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve career as well as other academic and personal goals. ARC also has a strong reputation for its wide array of career programs, in areas such as Healthcare, Hospitality, Human Services, Business & Computer Science, Public Safety, Applied Arts, Advanced Transportation and Manufacturing and Apprenticeship.
Our vision is to transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education. The college seeks individuals who share our mission of placing students first by providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
Our Commitment to Social Justice&Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community. The college seeks candidates who are committed to culturally inclusive practices and serving ARC’s student population. Faculty and staff are encouraged to engage in ongoing development of their professional skills. The college thus supports employee engagement in a broad range of trainings, workshops and activities such as the Equity Action Institute, the New Faculty Academy, and the Classified Leadership Academy. In addition, faculty and staff regularly participate in trainings offered through the college’s Center for Teaching and Learning and its Instructional Technology Center.
The long-term temporary faculty member shall be responsible for the following: teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the area dean; helping students fulfill their maximum potential in mastering course content; assessing student learning outcomes; maintaining a thorough and up-to-date knowledge in their regular teaching field; continuing professional development; utilizing current technology in the performance of job duties; maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position; assisting with articulation and curriculum development and review; serving on college committees and participating in faculty governance, including accreditation and student co-curricular activities; assuming other responsibilities as assigned by the area dean; and fulfilling other duties and responsibilities of a full time faculty member as outlined in the college faculty handbook.
The college is hiring a Registered Nurse (RN) Nursing faculty member assigned to the pediatric nursing area.
The department maintains a focus on:
● The specialty areas of Pediatrics, Obstetrics, Psychology, Geriatrics and Medical-Surgical.
● Adhering to the Board of Registered Nursing guidelines.
Position Salary Information:
Initial maximum salary placement is based on academic degree, upper/graduate level units earned, and/or related professional occupational experience per the Los Rios College Federation of Teachers (LRCFT) contract Article 2 (The initial maximum placement is Class V, Step 8).
The instructional assignment may include, but is not limited to, teaching lecture presentation, and clinical supervision for students in the Associate Degree Nursing Program.
The focus of the assignment is on pediatrics. Instructional responsibility
is not limited to a particular assignment on a permanent basis as teachers periodically rotate to other nursing courses. Clinical preparation for the position must include medical-surgical nursing.
The instructional assignment may include day, evening, online, hybrid, weekend, and/or off-campus classes.
Work Year164 days
1. Have a master’s degree from an accredited institution, completed by January 18, 2020 in Nursing; OR, have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, completed by January 18, 2020 in Nursing, AND have a master’s degree in Health Education or Health Science; or the equivalent.
2. Direct patient care experience within the previous five years in the nursing area which can be met by A or B below:
(A) One year’s continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in medical surgical nursing;
(B) One academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in medical surgical nursing or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency;
3. Completion of at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing.
4. Hold and maintain a current California license as a Registered Nurse by January 18, 2020.
5. Must hold/obtain and maintain the necessary licenses, certificates, etc., as needed for external agency(ies) accreditation.
6. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Faculty Application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (indicating completed or conferred date)
4. Two letters of recommendation (If using Interfolio, please send attachments to HR@losrios.edu)
5. Letter of Interest
● Applications submitted without all required documents listed above will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
● Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial copies of transcripts.
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Salary$43,495 to $80,125 annually. Salary placement determined by Los Rios salary schedule procedures. Additional earnings may be available for summer, overload, and stipends. LRCCD Salary Schedu
Additional Salary InformationEntering annual salary within a given range varies, depending upon units/degrees completed at accredited colleges/universities and experience. Candidates not holding a master's degree may start at a salary lower than posted above.
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-Time, Long-Term Temporary Position
Beginning on or about January 18, 2020 through May 20, 2020.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for an interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here