Department: College of Education and Human Development (CEHD)
Student Affairs Specialist
The George Mason University College of Education and Human Development (CEHD), Office of Student and Academic Affairs, invites applications for a Student Affairs Specialist who will provide administrative support to college efforts in academic advising, retention, and student engagement.
Located just a short distance from Washington, D.C., Mason's College of Education and Human Development is a dynamic academic unit committed to innovation and excellence in its research and teaching activities. The college offers a wide range of academic programs through its Graduate School of Education and its School of Recreation, Health and Tourism. For a full description of the college's diverse program offerings see http://cehd.gmu.edu/.
The Student Affairs Specialist, reporting to the Director of Student Success, will be responsible for performing the following functions:
- Coordinate paperwork for exceptions to academic policies and procedures;
- Assist with the outreach, transition and degree/licensure completion efforts;
- Assist with organizing research and assessment projects;
- Support the scholarship application and award process;
- Manage the front desk, including but not limited to answering phones and greeting visitors; and
- Supervise student workers.
- Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changes in a work environment;
- Superior skills with Microsoft Office suite as well as strong database experience;
- Motivated self-starter;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Strong ability to multitask and prioritize;
- Ability to work in a team environment; and
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a higher education environment with diverse student populations; and
- Experience with Ellucian Banner.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01071z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Review of applications will begin after November 17, 2016, and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.