Founded on a broad-based commitment to student success in and out of the classroom, the Division of Student Affairs provides a framework for the metacurricular experience with emphasis on the holistic development of the students. Central to our success is a commitment to cultivating deep and meaningful one-to-one relationships with students. We build and sustain collaborative relationships throughout the university to best serve the needs of our student body.
We are seeking a Financial Assistant for our financial team to work closely with departmental leadership in providing financial services. In this role, you will be responsible for processing all financial transactions within an assigned portfolio that includes accounts receivable, accounts payable, procurement, coordinating the purchasing card reconciliation process for all departmental purchasing cards, processing expense reports, purchase orders, journal entries, redistributions, paying invoices and reconciling purchase orders. You will also ensure departmental compliance with all relevant university financial policies, maintain complete documentation, and serve as liaison with internal financial services partners. Responsibilities also includes initiating student hires within Workday, the human capital system.
Core responsibilities include:
- Processing all departmental purchasing card activities (including reconciliation)
- Managing a significant volume of transactions on multiple cards with competing deadlines
- Communicating with purchasers and vendors regarding receipt retrieval, itemization, and tax exemption
- Serving as department initiator for the Division of Student Affairs’ student hires
- Processing purchase orders and invoices, journal entries and expense reports for departmental accounts.
- Coordinating and communicating with key partners such as staff, students, external vendors, Accounts Payable, and Procurement Services
- Other duties as assigned
- High School or GED with at least 3 years of related experience required. Bachelor's in Accounting preferred
- 3-5 years of bookkeeping, accounts payable, data entry or administrative support experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Student Affairs. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute through their work/life experiences to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
You should demonstrate:
- Proven ability to work on a wide range of administrative and financial tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills, including the proven ability to prioritize multiple high-priority demands from different constituents
- Social skills that contribute to an outstanding customer-service environment, including application of tact and diplomacy when dealing with customers and sensitive data
Are you interested in this opportunity with us? Please apply!
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance: https://www.cmu.edu/policies/administrative-and-governance/statement-of-assurance.html.