Plan, organize and coordinate the activities of admissions, enrollment, and records for the college; supervise the process for transcript issuances, enrollment certifications, residency determination; coordinate application and student records procedures and processes; supervise office staff and functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the activities of admissions, records, and enrollment, including the processes for determining residency, evaluation and issuance of transcripts and enrollment certifications, and review of student petitions and waivers.
- Develop, plan and coordinate the application and enrollment procedures for the District, including the preparation of application and enrollment data; prepare and distribute comparison reports reflecting application, records, and student enrollment statistics and other related reports as required.
- Maintain the on-line application, the on-line enrollment and student records files; maintain liaison with technical computer services staff regarding new and/or modified programs and services; coordinate data processing requests and deliveries.
- Develop and coordinate the admissions, records, and related sections of college publications including college catalog, class schedules, and home page.
- Develop counter and telephone schedules to ensure effective coverage; implement, supervise and maintain a complex telephone and in-person systems of application and enrollment.
- Supervise the storage of student records; oversee the development and collection of attendance and grade rosters.
- Interpret and apply State, Federal, and Local-mandated guidelines; recommend policies and procedures and guidelines.
- Assist with reporting the evaluation of student records for meeting Associate Degree and Certification program changes, credit by exam, independent study, changing grades, etc.
- Coordinate and handle the receipt of subpoenas of student records. Supervise the verification process of student records for eligibility requirements of external organizations’ benefits or
proceedings, including Veterans Administration, courts, and other governmental agencies as required.
- Hire, train, and supervise hourly staff to ensure adequate coverage during peak periods.
- Assist with development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for Admission & Records functions and processes.
- Assist with development and preparation of the department budget.
- Compose important, often sensitive and confidential reports and letters, memoranda and bulletins, requiring considerable independent judgement and discretion.
- Administer provisions of collective bargaining agreements and manage in compliance with Board policies and administrative procedures.
- Maintain currency of knowledge and skills related to job duties and responsibilities.
- Anticipate, prevent, and resolve problems and conflicts under area of supervision.
- Maintain communication with faculty, staff and other departments of the college and district in areas related to department functions.
- Perform other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
The position requires professional knowledge of:
- General regulations, laws and policies pertaining to California Community College admissions, registration and student records activities at Local, State, and Federal levels.
- Computerized student enrollment and student record files system.
- Policies and legal issues related to admission and attendance of students.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Administrative survey and reporting techniques.
- Principles of supervision and training.
- Budgetary methods and procedures.
- Electronic data processing and records management systems, including but not limited to imaging systems, degree audits and voice response systems.
- Modern office equipment and procedures; use of personal computers for typical office applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets and data base management.
The position requires demonstrated skill in:
- Organizing work and building an effective team to meet the needs of the assigned areas.
- Oral and written language sufficient to prepare reports and professional correspondence.
- Human relations/interpersonal skills to conduct performance reviews, deliver presentations,
and convey technical information to a wide variety of audiences.
The position requires the ability to:
- Supervise the admissions, records, and registration processes for a community college in an effective manner.
- Establish and coordinate an effective enrollment appointment calendar and schedule.
- Interpret college procedures and procedures related to admissions, records application and enrollment issues.
- Assist students in resolving admissions, records, and enrollment problems such as schedule conflicts, program changes, prerequisite clearances credit by exam, individualized study and changing needs.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Oversee and maintain a enrollment and student record process including a voice response system.
- Plan, organize and complete assignments with a minimal amount of detailed instructions.
- Recommend and draft policies, regulations, rules, contracts, directives and technical materials.
- Read analyze and apply complex written materials.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contracted in the course of work.
- Work either morning or evening shift.
License and Certificates
May require a valid driver’s license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.