Marketing and Media Relations
Salary Grade Ranking
2600 South First Street Temple, TX
Position Summary & Essential Duties
The following duties, responsibilities, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s), and physical requirements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. The information listed below is not intended to be construed as a complete listing of all duties, responsibilities, KSA’s, and physical requirements required of this position since changes to the position may occur at any time or additional requirements that may be added over the course of time.
Under the general guidance of the College President, the Executive Director, Marketing and Communication is responsible for developing and implementing the marketing and communication vision for Temple College. Responsibilities include managing all aspects of the Temple College brand, including athletics.
Qualifications (Required and Preferred)
Bachelor's degree and six years of directly related full time work experience or associate’s degree and eight years of directly related full time work experience. Education discipline in communications, marketing, graphic design, web design, public relations or related field is preferred.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees internal and external communications, media relations, marketing, the College website, and the switchboard
- Designs comprehensive institutional communications plans and programs, taking into consideration institutional image, message and positioning, mission, goals, priorities and accomplishments of the College, the relationship between institutional communications and marketing, and the specific marketing objectives of the College.
- Directs specific activities at the institutional level to support communications strategies, including but not limited to marketing, advertising, institutional publications, and the College’s websites. This includes the design, production, placement, and budget management for all advertising and promoting special College activities.
- Maintains a strategic communication plan and program for the College, through which a consistent and appropriate image is conveyed to a variety of audiences and which allows for sufficient flexibility to accommodate the diverse needs and activities of the College and the audience to whom it is projected.
- Maintains a close relationship with local or regional media personnel/outlets. The incumbent will ensure media releases in various hard copy or electronic formats will be forwarded to these various agencies in a timely manner for publication.
- Prepares or reviews College promotional materials and recruiting communications, and advises the President on ways to improve efforts to reach potential students.
- Manages the College’s social media accounts, and directs the production of infographics, video and other media tailored to the College’s social media marketing campaigns.
- Acts as the media spokesperson and point of contact for the College.
- Produces recurring newsletters for distribution to employees as well as the public through email or social media.
- Assures quality, consistency, and appropriateness of institutional marketing and communications activities, printed material or media in electronic format whether internally or externally produced.
- Develops marketing material and publications, and oversees external design resources when necessary.
- Provides strategic communications counsel to the leadership team of the College and provides guidance to and coordination with other departments of the College in the implementation of institutional communications and marketing strategies.
- Coordinates surveys, evaluations, and assessments of internal and external communications activities in order to determine the effectiveness of the College's marketing and communications plans and programs.
- Provides planning, develops and manages departmental budgeting, and provides leadership for the department.
- Directs media center staff and identifies ways to leverage media center resources to drive revenues or reduce expenditures for the College.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; effects changes required for improvement.
- Develops and delivers oral presentations and written materials to groups both within and outside the College.
- Assists the President and other members of the College’s leadership team to produce engaging materials for public presentations.
- Implements and ensures equal employment opportunity and affirmative action guidelines for all publications of the College.
- Assists the Temple College Foundation, East Williamson County Higher Education Center, and Texas Bioscience Institute with communication and marketing needs.
- Serves on various College planning and policy-making committees.
- Attends all Temple College Board of Trustees meetings and serves as media liaison for the Board.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities & Physical Demands
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Knowledge of strategic communications and marketing concepts, principles, methodology and techniques.
Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Design, Microsoft Publisher and/or common software used for graphic design and publication purposes.
Knowledge of management principles and practices.
Knowledge of current and emerging communications and marketing issues and trends applicable to educational institutions.
Knowledge of the Community College educational environment as well as knowledge of the general community.
Knowledge of media relations: design, production and placement of newspaper, radio, television, and other College advertisements.
Knowledge of and experience in the preparation of news releases.
Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
Skills in graphic design.
Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Employee development and performance management skills.
Skill in budget preparation and management.
Experience in managing a responsive website that implements and monitors American Disabilities Act regulations, addresses easy search functions, and makes it easy for departments to update content.
Experience with Google Analytics and preferable Google Data Suite.
Experience and demonstrated success in SEO tactics/optimizations.
Experience in collecting, managing and evaluating digital analytics.
Experience in and demonstrated success with earned media tactics.
Experience in supporting efforts on economic development and governmental relations efforts with data collection, assessment, and marketing tools.
Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Ability to utilize effectively, content-based information regarding the College.
Ability to produce content tailored for a variety of media platforms.
Ability to apply knowledge to specific communications and marketing programs and activities.
Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals cross departmentally. Work coming out of marketing will seek to be integrated across the college and leveraged amplifying marketing efforts, collaboration and intentional bridge building.
Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions.
Ability to leverage social media to generate positive engagement with students, employees and community members.
Ability to develop and deliver oral presentations and written materials for a variety of audiences and multiple venues.
Ability to provide effective advice and counsel on strategic communications issues and to exercise effective judgment.
Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
Ability to develop, direct, manage, and evaluate strategic communications plans, programs and activities applicable to a public Community College.
Light physical activity is required with occasional lifting of objects up to 15 pounds.
Work is normally performed in an office setting. Duties will require travel in personal or school owned vehicles.
Director, Media Center
Director, web Applications and Systems
Coordinator, Marketing and Media Relations
Operator, Information Desk and Switchboard
Temple College President