Who We Are:
An avid traveler and lifelong animal advocate, Marianne Cox and her family returned from their annual trips to Mexico disheartened and saddened by the inhumane living conditions of the many stray dogs they befriended during their travels. Committed to personally doing something back home to alleviate their suffering, Marianne vowed to “one day save one of those street dogs.”
In March 2017, Marianne established Street Dog Hero.
Less than two weeks later, she saved her first life.
Street Dog Hero (SDH) flew Trece, a Vizsla mix deemed a pest in the community and in danger of being poisoned, from Sayulita, Mexico to Oregon. Within three days, Trece (now KC) found his forever home.
Since that time, Street Dog Hero has rescued more than 1,500 dogs just like KC from neglect, hunger and abuse around the world and from overcrowded shelters throughout the United States. We concentrate our efforts where the need is greatest and where animals are least likely to receive essential care due to financial, geographic, and cultural barriers.
In partnership with other rescue organizations and through support of our committed volunteers, fosters and donors, we focus on delivery of the following integrated programs:
- Vetting, sterilization and transportation of street dogs for adoption in the US; to date SDH has rescued animals from Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, China, Guam, India, Afghanistan,
Armenia, Albania, the Bahamas, Virgin Islands and overcrowded shelters in the United States.
- Rescuing dogs from the South Korean and China meat trades; vetting, sterilizing and transporting them to the US for adoption.
- Direct care for the street dog population in Mexico and beyond with food, supplies, flea and tick treatment and sterilization; free and low cost spay and neuter clinics for underserved communities in Mexico and Oregon.
- Advocacy, education and outreach programs to make lasting positive change in the lives of all animals.
Street Dog Hero is seeking our first Executive Director (ED) to work in close partnership with the Board of
Directors to provide strategic direction and operational oversight for the organization. Reporting directly to the Board President, Marianne Cox, you will translate our ambitious vision into achievable, measurable goals for our highly committed staff, and provide hands-on, day-to-day leadership for our fast paced, growing organization.
The ideal candidate will have a deep passion for the mission of Street Dog Hero and a demonstrated history of building successful relationships in a non-profit setting. Your proven success as a fundraiser will enable you to expand our relationships with donors, sponsors, adopters, fosters, and volunteers alike; while your previous experience guiding external relations will position you for success broadening
SDH’s reach on a local, regional, national and international basis.
Strategic Planning: Work with the Board to set strategic direction for Street Dog Hero. Develop and implement a 5-year strategic plan supported by measurable, achievable action plans that will ensure the organization’s annual growth and long-term success.
Operations: Supervise, support and inspire our staff of 6 to achieve success in their day-to-day responsibilities for SDH’s finance, administration, programming, marketing, and development functions.
Maintain ultimate responsibility for the financial well-being of SDH. Prepare yearly budget and annual report.
Resource Development + External Relations: Diversify and grow SDH’s funding sources by engaging individual donors, corporate partners, foundations and other organizations/entities that support our mission. Plan and execute ongoing annual giving programming, specialized appeals, and major annual fundraising events. Serve as the organization’s spokesperson; ensure that all external communications reflect SDH’s values and tell our story in a compelling way.
Board Relations + Organization Governance: Work closely with the Board to keep members fully informed about all aspects of the organization. Attend and set agenda for all monthly Board meetings, prepare materials in support of meetings, including monthly financials. Support SDH President in making recommendations and implementing policies.
Background of the Ideal Candidate:
- 3-5+ years of non-profit operational experience with responsibility over operational functions including finance, administration, programming, marketing, and development
- Experience in animal welfare/rescue or a humanitarian organization strongly preferred
- Direct experience working with a Board to develop a multi-year strategic plan and guide ongoing implementation and measurement
- Demonstrated success as a fundraiser
- Experience remotely managing a diverse group of employees and volunteers
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $60,000. Benefits include an opportunity for remote work, a flexible work schedule, and unlimited dog kisses.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following by Friday, August 13.
2. Cover letter
3. Responses to the following questions:
- Why are you applying for this position? How has your previous experience prepared you for this role with Street Dog Hero?
- In this position, you will be both a visionary leader and a hands-on manager. In what ways do you see these roles intersecting? How do you view this as an opportunity? Do you see any potential challenges?
- What should we know about you that isn’t conveyed through your application materials?
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 per year