Location: Columbia, MD Category: Hourly / Temporary Posted On: Mon Jun 7 2021 Job Description:
HCC is recruiting for part time hourly Academic Advisors, Athletics to augment the existing team and work with students. This position is crucial to student success, requires considerable knowledge and expertise, including thorough knowledge of academic programs and policies, college services, state transfer and general education policies, transcript evaluation and articulation, and mastery of the admissions, advising, tracking, and degree audit components of the student system. This position works on campus in Columbia, MD.
- Provides pre-enrollment advising to prospective students, including athletes, regarding placement test interpretations and assistance with enrollment procedures.
- Provides academic advising to currently enrolled students, including athletes, regarding program planning, course scheduling, graduation clearance, and transfer policies.
- Assists students with developing an academic plan which leads to degree completion while meeting transfer goals.
- Provides comprehensive academic advising to developmental students and those students placed on academic warning and probation.
- Provides comprehensive transfer advising to students seeking transfer to competitive and limited enrollment programs.
- Supports a variety of office events including transfer fairs, campus visits and information sessions..
- Interprets college policies and procedures for students, faculty, and staff.
- Bachelor's degree with two years of related experience required. Masters degree preferred.
- Prior advising, counseling or higher education/student services experience required, including experience with special populations.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to advising, transfer, and general education strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral (including public speaking), writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills required.
- Knowledge of student and communications management systems. Other computer literacy required; experience with Windows, MS Office, student system software, digital imaging software, ARTSYS, and other software applications strongly preferred.
- Experience working with various college departments preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage multiple priorities while providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Hours Per Week: 20-25 hours a week
Work Schedule: Flexible hours to include a minimum of one evening per week
Compensation: $28.13/per hour
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: July 1, 2021
- Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100.