Independence Community College
Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach
Independence Community College (ICC) seeks applications for the position of Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach. ICC is located in southeast Kansas. ICC has initiated continuous quality improvement through the Standard Pathways accreditation process. Independence Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ICC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, tenure, disability or any other factors that cannot be lawfully considered in its programs and activities as required by all applicable laws and regulations. This is a 12 month position with an annual salary of $37,500-$38,500.
Under administrative review of the Institution’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach, develop and execute strategies for the recruitment of athletes and developing a regionally and nationally competitive team; organize and direct all aspects of the Men’s basketball program, organizing practice sessions to enhance the team’s performance as a highly visible sport; supervise staff involved in the program. The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach is responsible to assist with management and administration and management of the Men’s basketball team within the guidelines, rules and regulations of Independence Community College, the Kansas Jayhawk Conference and the National Junior College Athletic Association.
- Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions in and out of season, as allowed. Assist Head Coach during scheduled events. Helps determine and implements the strategies necessary to motivate the players to maximum levels of individual and team performance.
- Helps to direct and manage other assistant coaches; attends coaches’ preparatory meetings and teaching procedures for the assistant coaching staff.
- Help conduct, coordinate, prioritize and/or delegate administrative responsibilities; team travel, future game schedules, equipment inventory, ordering of supplies and equipment, speaking engagements, camps and youth clinics.
- Helps develop a comprehensive and functional knowledge of the sport and actively seeks to develop new methods and strategies of the sport.
- Assist Head Coach with the search, selection and training of qualified assistant coaches with the approval of the Athletic Director and in accordance with all ICC Personnel and Affirmative Action programs and procedures.
- Helps maintain continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NJCAA, KJCCC and departmental rules and regulations.
- Scouts and Recruits quality student-athletes. Develops working relationships with faculty and college staff to assist in the recruiting and retention process.
- Demonstrates an active interest in the academic progress of student athletes in an attempt to prevent academic eligibility problems. This includes supervision of periodic eligibility checks of athletes during competition, enrollment procedures, degree checks and class attendance. Submit to faculty at least one week in advance a list of traveling squad members for any athletic contest, which will cause student athletes to miss class.
- Attend College functions/activities.
- Actively promotes public relations with the media, civic groups and Booster Clubs to maximize exposure for the team and to assist in promotional/fund-raising activities. All attempts to increase present revenue sources and develop new sources should be coordinated through and approved by the Athletic Director’s office.
- Actively participate in community activities.
- Establishes and ensures communication and enforcement of rules and regulations regarding student conduct, appearance, and behavior and class attendance.
- Serve as a mentor to students and other assistant coaches.
- Demonstrates a cooperative attitude toward all other sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Coordinates scholarship paperwork and oversee the completion of financial aid paperwork, admission criteria and eligibility certification. Submits names of all athletes participating in his/her sport to the Registrar for eligibility certification.
- Oversees the completion of the press guide, programs, and recruiting brochures. Makes sure to have all advertisement sold and the necessary information to the Sports Information Coordinator.
- Attend and participate in commencement exercises in academic regalia.
- Meet attendance expectations as required for this position which does include a willingness to work unusual hours including evenings and week-ends.
- Within six months of the date of hire, required to maintain a physical place of residence within the ICC service area throughout their employment.
- Any other related duties as required by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
- Supervise the following staff: Resident Assistant Coaches. Work study students assigned to the program.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A thorough knowledge of the game of Basketball.
- Ability to effectively work with various public and diverse populations. Human Relation skills of ordinary courtesy, understanding and ability to stimulate motivation, confidence and enthusiasm in students.
- Administrative ability to manage details of budget, scheduling, recruiting and supervision of student progress in academic endeavors.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of coaching experience
- Budgeting, organizational, and communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of NJCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student athletes.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Five years of experience in coaching basketball at the Community College level.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Teaching experience preferred
Position will remain open until filled. Send letter of interest, resume, with transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for consideration), and completed ICC application form (available on line at: www.indycc.edu/HR and at the ICC Human Resource Office) to: Stacey Wright
Human Resource Office
Independence Community College
P.O. Box 708
Independence, KS 67301
Independence Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ICC encourages diversity among its employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $37,500.00 - $38,500.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance