Role: Assists the head coach in supporting student-athlete academic success, recruiting prospective student-athletes following the College’s mission and student-athlete recruitment procedures, and planning and directing the applicable sports program/athletic team. This is a part-time coaching position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Assists the head coach in supporting student-athlete academic success by ensuring students are meeting the College’s academic progress expectations and assists head coach in providing and enforcing appropriate interventions when there are signs of deficiency.
- Maintains positive relationships with New Jersey high school coaches to assist the athletic coach in recruiting prospective student-athletes.
- Collaborates with other coaches to plan and direct the athletic team, assigning positions, preparing players for athletic competition, developing and implementing strategies to improve performance, and determining game strategy.
- Models and encourages leadership, sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive citizenship.
- Assists in verifying athlete eligibility prior to competition.
- In the absence of the head coach, serves as the responsible party for student-athlete safety and conduct during all team athletic practices, games, events and activities and notifies the athletic director of any issues.
- Assists the head coach in supporting marketing and public relations efforts by providing game/athletic contest results in a timely manner, sharing student-athlete success stories, and promoting athletics in the community using forums such as social media.
- Assists in overseeing the maintenance and inventory of sports equipment and supplies.
- Participates in regular coaching meetings and professional development as designated by the athletic director
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience Playing and coaching designated sport required.
Education Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required.
Interpersonal Skills Good interpersonal and communication skills; Ability to communicate effectively with students, family members, faculty, staff, administrators and high school and college athletic staff.
Technical Skills Working knowledge of current and emerging computer hardware and software, including Microsoft Office products.
Other Skills Knowledge of rules, strategies, and techniques of the applicable sport
Knowledge of methods of physical conditioning
Knowledge of any divisional regulations pertaining to the sport
Knowledge of College, rules and regulations governing sports schedules and activities within and outside of College
Knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies required to provide facilities suitable for the applicable sport
Ability to plan, organize and direct a sports program/athletic team
Physical Requirements The work is mostly sedentary; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items, driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Environment Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
This Job Description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising this position.
A successful criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment.
Salem Community College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruit, employ, and promote personnel without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic status, or mental or physical challenges, in compliance with all Federal and State legislation and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination. The employees of the College are expected to teach or work with other employees, and to supervise or be supervised in their work by other employees without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, economic status, or mental or physical challenges.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.