The Y is a leading nonprofit for strengthening community, and the nation's larger provider of swim lessons to increase skill and safety in and around water. This position provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Supervises class participants while in and out of the water, enforcing safety rules and regulations as set forth by the facility in a preventive manner.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Evaluates potentially dangerous situations and perform the appropriate required rescue techniques to the situation and proper first aid as needed.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- CPR, AED, and First Aid certification required within 30 days of hire date.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.