Ensure Adequate Veterinary Care
Assist senior veterinary staff in supporting the institution’s preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic veterinary medicine program.
Examine animals, develop diagnosis and prescribe appropriate therapy.
Examine animals entering the conditioning (quarantine) program to:
- Establish health status and compliance with the investigator’s requirements.
- Prescribe necessary medical treatments or special requirements for conditioning.
- Evaluate the dealer’s compliance with the requirements of the established standing BRL order.
Assist senior veterinary staff in providing veterinary and administrative support for projects involving chemical hazards and BSL 2 and 3 agents.
Assist senior veterinary staff in the support of the institution’s programs for the appropriate pre and postoperative care.
Assist senior veterinary staff in monitoring the institutions program for the appropriate use of anesthetics, analgesics and tranquilizers:
- Assist senior veterinary staff in establishing guidelines for the use of anesthetics, analgesics and tranquilizers for the various species maintained at the institution.
- Consult with the investigative staff concerning the use of these agents and provide advice and training when necessary.
- Assist senior veterinary staff in overseeing programs for monitoring the use of these agents in the various species maintained at the institution..
- Assist senior veterinary staff in overseeing programs to ensure that surgical procedures are performed in accordance with pertinent regulations and standards.
Consult with investigators and provide advice and training when necessary.
Assist senior veterinary staff in monitor programs for ensuring the appropriate use of euthanasia techniques:
- Review techniques in use and suggest the investigators use the most appropriate technique available.
- Provide advice and training to staff and students who are required to euthanize animals in accordance with approved UIC Protocols for Animal Use.
In conjunction with the supervisory staff perform regular inspections to ensure compliance with BRL husbandry standards and the Guide to monitor the maintenance of facilities and equipment.
Support the administrative functions of the Animal Care Committee by:
- Reviewing assigned Protocols for animal use and contracting investigators when necessary.
- Providing support to the ACC and its subcommittee in the development, presentation and evaluation of policies and programs necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the Committee.
In conjunction with the senior veterinary, BRL administrative and supervisory staff review and update established policies and procedures and develop and evaluate new policies and procedures that will improve operational standards and efficiency.
Perform academic duties and functions in support of the educational function of BRL, the UIC Animal Care Program, the UIC Graduate School and the advancement of knowledge in laboratory animal medicine and science.
Develop, review, update and present teaching materials for graduate courses offered by the BRL.
Participate in the postdoctoral program in Laboratory Animal Medicine by presenting lectures, seminars and grand rounds.
Participate in the technician training and continuing education programs:
- Develop, review, update and present materials in the training program.
- In conjunction with the senior veterinary and supervisory staff develop, review, update and present in-service training program.
- In conjunction with senior veterinary and the supervisory staff, reinforce the various aspects of the training program in the policies and procedures of the animal husbandry program.Participate in the UIC training program for the use of the laboratory:
Participate in the UIC training program for the use of the laboratory:
- Develop, review, update and present material in formalized training programs.
- When necessary, develop topic or group orientation training sessions on an as needed basis.