PT Counselor - DSPS Counselor - Continuous Applicant Pool
- Job Duties
- Provide academic, career and personal counseling to students with disabilities
- Assist students in determining appropriate academic adjustments and accommodations
- ?Consult with instructors regarding specific students and their disability related needs
- Participate in service training for faculty and staff regarding disability and disability law
- ?Outreach to local high schools to aid in transition
- Liaison with community services and 4-year universities
- ?Refer students to appropriate campus support services such as transfer center, EOPS, financial aid; other counseling duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Master's degree in rehabilitation counseling OR Master's degree in counseling, guidance counseling, student personnel, clinical or counseling psychology, education counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, marriage, family and child counseling, or a Bachelor's degree in marriage and family therapy or in marriage, family and child counseling and possession of a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); and either 15 or more semester units in upper division or graduate level course work related to people with disabilities, or completion of six semester units, or the equivalent of a graduate-level counseling practicum or counseling field work courses, in a post-secondary Disabled Students Programs and Services program or in a program dealing with people with disabilities, or two years of fulltime experience, or the equivalent, in one or more of the following: (A) Counseling for students with disabilities; or (B) Counseling in industry, government, public agencies, military or private social welfare organizations in which the responsibilities are for persons with disabilities, or the equivalent.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Community college counseling experience
- ?Experience counseling students with a wide variety of disabilities, including learning disabilities, psychological disabilities, sensory disabilities, physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, and acquired brain injuries
- ?Knowledge of California higher education system including specialized programs and services for students with disabilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the Americans with Disabilities Act and relevant legislative directives and protections.
- Additional Information
A completed application consists of the following:
- Online District Application
Starting salaries for PT Faculty are based on educational achievement. Initial placement is within the starting salary range. Further advancements are based on longevity and educational growth.
Candidates should show evidence of sensitivity to, and understanding of, the socioeconomic, academic, cultural and ethnic diversity within the college student population, including students with physical and/or learning disabilities, as these factors relate to differences in learning styles.
Ideal candidates will have recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American and other racially minoritized students in the classroom, and a willingness to use culturally responsive instructional practices.
Candidates should also demonstrate sensitivity to issues of diversity and have the ability to motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, cultures and learning styles, as well as students with disabilities or varied levels of academic preparation.
Santa Monica College encourages candidates that are equity-minded to apply. SMC is a minority-serving, Hispanic-serving institution. We actively seek to attract candidates from minority groups that value equity, diversity and inclusion. Equity, diversity and inclusion are built into the culture at SMC and are an essential component of the work that we do. SMC is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity as it is a reflection of our student population and we strive to hire candidates that share this commitment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Disclosure
The Santa Monica Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants for employment, as well as District employees, shall have full and equal access to employment opportunity. No person shall be subjected to unlawful discrimination in any program or activity of the District. The District's Board Policy 3420 (Equal Employment Opportunity) may be accessed at: http://www.smc.edu/ACG/Documents/Board_Policy_Manual/Updated%20Board%20Policies%202017/Board%20Policy%20Chapter%203.pdf
The Santa Monica Community College District, in its desire to select outstanding faculty members from the largest possible pool of qualified applicants, recognizes the fact that candidates may attain expertise in a discipline through a variety of means. Certain combinations of education, experience and other accomplishments in the field may be judged by the District as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications are encouraged to apply and provide appropriate documentation of their qualifications. For further details regarding equivalency criteria, please download the Equivalency Application Statement Form available at: https://jobs.smc.edu/applicants/static/customers/655/EquivalencyStatementPDF.pdf
Conditions of Employment
Appointment is subject to verification of official transcripts, current or previous employment, tuberculosis and fingerprint clearance. Selected candidate must provide identification and work authorization.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*