Apply now Job no:507402
Work type:Staff Full Time
Department: Human Resources
Union: Non-Unit Non-Exempt
Categories:Administrative/Office Support, Human Resources
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Serves as integral member of the Employee Service Center & Benefits Team (“Benefits”) charged with providing support to employees and external clients regarding various aspects of employment and benefits at UMass Amherst. Works with Benefits Team, Payroll & Human Resources (HR) Administration as well Managers and Personnel Coordinators in campus departments, to promote an environment of inclusion and provide excellent customer satisfaction.
- Assists employees in person, via telephone and email/other technology to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues pertaining to payroll and benefits, referring employees to a subject matter expert when necessary.
- Ensures employees have the information necessary to secure timely payment of wages and enrollment in benefits.
- Conducts New Employee Orientations, updating content and related communications/materials, ensuring participants fully understand benefits options.
- Reviews hiring forms and benefits enrollments for completion and accuracy. Reviews employee identification documents and completes federal I-9 Eligibility Verification form and e-verify as applicable, ensuring compliance with employment eligibility laws and University procedures.
- Assembles responses and responds to Department of Unemployment Assistance claims using wage, employment, and termination information obtained from prior employee’s department and HR records.
- Processes tuition waivers, tracks and maintains database of same. Assists in obtaining data needed for processing tuition waiver information for tax reporting purposes.
- Responds to employment verification requests; assists in administration of insurance, retirement and Workers’ Compensation benefits.
- Opens/date stamps/distributes incoming documents/correspondence.
- Proactively identifies and resolves challenges related to Human Resources workflow and processes, suggesting improvements to employee communications & related materials.
- Maintains orderly appearance of the HR Employee Service Center. Maintains the stock of required forms, ordering additional stock and updating forms/documents as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Equivalent of high school diploma.
- Minimum of 2 years customer service and computer experience.
- Dedication and ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex information.
- Ability to effectively and respectfully interact with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to multitask, working quickly and accurately with little supervision.
- Ability to successfully work independently and as a member of a team.
- Dedication to, and experience with, maintaining confidentiality of personnel information.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to assess work priorities and meet deadlines.
- General knowledge of employee benefits.
- Attention to detail and ability to work accurately with figures.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PeopleSoft and Adobe, or technical aptitude with the ability to learn new technology quickly.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- General knowledge of benefits and payroll functions preferred.
- Ability to differentiate between various University positions (EmplClass) and knowledge of benefits programs, policies & procedures that apply to each.
- Knowledge of standard University policies and procedures including, but not limited to: leave and Sick Leave Bank applications & state-sponsored retirement programs (pension, ORP, OBRA).
- Knowledge of state (eg, MA Group Insurance Commission) and University (eg, postdoctoral health, various dental) insurance plans.
- Knowledge of computerized Human Resources Information systems (PeopleSoft, HRMS historical data archives) and Massachusetts’ computerized benefits information systems (MAGIC, DUA, Workers’ Compensation systems).
- Specific knowledge of various types and uses of state agency and carrier-specific forms (eg, related to workers compensation, dental and state-sponsored insurance benefits).
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume and cover letter by February 24, 2021.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised:Feb 16 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:Feb 24 2021 Eastern Standard Time