This position promotes and supports the learning experience of Marian University students by, providing vision, leadership and administrative oversight in areas such as budget, personnel, program, policies and procedures in support of the college strategic plan and priorities, especially for departments that encompass the student life department, along with supporting campus and student diversity, equity and inclusion. This position is responsible for management and supervision of residence life, student activities, conduct, wellness, health and counseling, campus safety, and TRIO student services. Serves all Marian University student populations including: traditional residential/commuter and adult learners on the main campus, as well as online. This position is responsible for a rich student-centered experience grounded in the university’s mission and core values. To learn more about the mission of the University, please visit www.marianuniversity.edu/about/mission-values/
- Proven leadership, strategic thinker, and seeker of pragmatic, creative solutions to challenges.
- Committed to the general welfare and vitality of Marian University.
- Advocate for students and seek to create a positive learning environment for all students especially outside of the classroom.
- Dedicated to the experience and success of all Marian students.
- Responsible for policy, long-range planning, budget, personnel, and coordination of the departments that encompasses the following: residence life, student involvement, new student orientation, student conduct, campus safety, student life office management, and wellness. Oversee TRIO programs (Student Support Services and Upward Bound Math & Science).
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in adhering to fiscal parameters and established guidelines in the administration of the approved budget.
- Develop strategic goals and objectives for the oversight departments, which support and promote the goals of the division and University that fosters a vibrant living and learning community.
- Lead collaboration with other campus constituencies to promote academic and social interaction.
- Provide key support for all campus equity committees, programs, and initiatives.
- Maintain high visibility within the campus community, particularly with students.
- Serve as a member of the president’s cabinet and various University committees.
- Provide programs and services that contribute to student persistence and graduation.
- A strong voice for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Performs other work-related duties as necessary or as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Master’s Degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education, or a closely related field.
- Three to five years of closely related professional experience.
- Willingness to support the mission, vision, and core values of the University.
- Student-centered with experience in serving at-risk students.
- Strongly motivated; a self-starter.
- Extensive knowledge of policies and procedures related to functional area.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervision skills in working with, and successfully motivating, a team of professional and support staff to establish goals, implement plans, evaluate, solve problems, and meet deadlines. Goal oriented.
- High degree of professional discretion, integrity and good judgment.
- Able to prioritize, organize and operationalize results using data.
- High standard of professional conduct, ability to maintain confidentiality, and the ability to establish credibility throughout the organization and with all stakeholders including the Board of Trustees, the President, Faculty, Staff, Students, Alumni and members of the President’s Cabinet.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and trouble-shoot complex situations.
- Team-oriented with strong communication skills (verbal and written); ability to work well with others.
Education, Experience, and Skills Preferred:
- Terminal (PhD, EdD, JD) degree preferred.
The Vice President for Student Life & Diversity, and Dean of Students has oversight of Student Life, TRIO Programs, and Residence Life.
The Vice President for Student Life & Diversity, and Dean of Students Search Committee is led by the president and includes faculty, administrator and board representation. The committee will begin reviewing applications as they are received and will continue until the appointment is made. To assure full consideration, applications should be received by Friday, February 26, 2021, and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names of five professional references with email and telephone numbers (references will not be contacted without prior notification of the applicant). Applications and nominations should be sent electronically (MS Word or Adobe PDF) to email@example.com
Transforming lives through academic excellence, innovation and leadership. Marian University is a community committed to learning, dedicated to service and social justice, and joined together by spiritual traditions.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the receipt of criminal background and reference check information; and the determination that the candidate remains eligible and suitable for employment.