Job TitleContinuing Education Student Advisor
Position StatusPart Time
Grant Funding Source31-00-07105-171014
DepartmentSO CE Economic Development
Provides academic advisement for Adult Basic Education (ABE) and continuing education Adult Secondary Education (ASE) students. Assists students in identifying and understanding issues and procedures related to their career and educational objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assesses student’s educational potential using the results of approved assessment instruments for programs on campus and at community-based sites
• Advises the student on potential educational and career pathways.
• Assists students with career information related to students’ interest and aptitudes (MyPlan, Career Coach)
• Educate students on the steps necessary to complete a certificate or degree program
• Teaches students the skills to self-navigate to degree or career training completion utilizing campus information, student on-line system and campus resources
• Assists in retention activities of the college
• Collaborates with advisors to determine the best academic learning path for the student
• Collaborates with campus continuing education staff to determine appropriate certificate training available to the student
• Coordinates with Workforce Services to determine if funds are available to support training
• Coordinates with Tarrant County Workforce Solutions to determine possible funding
• Develops and maintains individualized retention and transition plans for students
• Attends the workplace regularly, reports to work punctually and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite
• Complete all required training and professional development sessions sponsored through Tarrant County College (TCC)
• Supports the values of the College: diversity, teaching excellence, student success, innovation and creativity and services to the College
• Supports the mission, values and 3 goals and 8 principles of the College
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Required Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
• Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
• Two (2) years of advising experience in a college or university or similar equivalent experience working with special student populations
• Knowledge of career interest inventory testing procedures and outcomes
• Experience in advising students of diverse cultures and ethnic backgrounds
• Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
Desired Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensures
• Knowledge of academic and career/technical programs
• Experience in a community college environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Special Instructions Summary
This is a grant-funded position. Continued employment in this position is contingent upon renewal of grant funding.
This posting will be utilized to fill two (2) part-time Continuing Education Student Advisor opportunities within the Community Education and Engagement department on the South campus.
This is a part-time position, maximum 19.5 hrs. per week.