The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world-class post-secondary institution, College of the North Atlantic – Qatar (CNA-Q). Established to meet the ambitious and visionary goals of the State of Qatar, CNA-Q is a partnership between the State of Qatar and College of the North Atlantic in Canada. CNA-Q fills the State’s need for graduates who have applied technical training in their fields of study. CNA-Q is the third largest post-secondary institution in Qatar, with a total student enrollment of 3,545 in the Academic Year 2019-2020. The college, which officially opened in September 2002, has thus far graduated 6,473 students. Currently, CNA-Q offers over 26 diploma programs in the areas of Business Management and Information Technology, Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, and
Health Sciences. In 2020, CNA-Q also introduced new applied Bachelor’s degree programs.
The School of General Education provides a range of introductory core courses to all students of the College in subjects that support the academic structure of the diploma and degree programs. The academic program is designed around core courses in mathematics and statistics, sciences, communications, psychology and other elective studies, aimed at developing an understanding of fundamental concepts and their applications.
The School of General Education invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Psychology, starting in August 2021.
Reporting to the Department Chair, Communications and Electives, you will plan, develop, and deliver courses in Psychology to students enrolled in a variety of College programs. Currently Psychology is taught for students of the School of Health Sciences, and will also be offered as part of the General Education Requirement. You will evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. In the framework of cross-school collaboration initiatives, you will participate in industry advisory committees and coordinate, manage and control projects within the specified program area. You will keep course portfolio documents required for program review and accreditation processes and engage in instructional development/improvement plans. The College encourages applications from research-active faculty who will also contribute to the enhancement of applied research and innovation.
A PhD in Psychology or a related program of study. A minimum of 5 years teaching experience in a post-secondary, adult training or industry training environment. Experience as a practitioner/professional within a relevant discipline is welcome. Candidates should also be recognized in the following criteria:
- contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publication, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope;
- contribution to the advancement of learning by the leadership of teaching and curriculum development;
- professional recognition and standing amongst peers;
- academic subject leadership or academic management
Other Required Skills:
- Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of the College’s mandate
- Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in program outcomes
- Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems, and an ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support research and learning
- Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning
- Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community
- Ability to initiate applied research projects
How to Apply:
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application, which may include (but need not be limited to) curricula vitae, cover letters, references, teaching dossiers, and sample publications. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each requirement. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected. Applicants must apply online via our Careers portal.