Community Housing Partners (CHP) is a national nonprofit organization focused on creating homes and communities that are healthy, sustainable, and affordable. CHP prides itself on being a mission, community, and employee-driven.
CHP is looking for a Janitorial Grounds person who is positive, helpful, courteous customer-focused, and who can assist the other Maintenance staff to repair and maintain all buildings, fixtures, resident spaces, electrical and mechanical equipment, and appliances for safe and appropriate functionality always.
The Janitorial Grounds person is an entry level maintenance position. As a valuable member of our customer service team, they must carry out all job duties in a safe, pleasant, positive, and professional manner to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
The position is responsible for maintaining all interior and exterior areas other than occupied tenant apartments in a clean, safe, comfortable, attractive, and sanitary condition for our residents. A high degree of reliability and regular attendance and punctuality are required to maintain efficient operations and provide quality service to residents.
If you like to work outside, can handle a physical work load, pay attention to detail, and have prior experience in cleaning, maintenance, janitorial or other related field this opportunity is for you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in unit turns by thoroughly cleaning all areas in apartments prior to new residents moving in, including but not limited to vacuuming/shampooing carpets, mopping solid surface floors, cleaning windows/mirrors, counters, faces and interiors of cabinets and other woodwork, toilets, tubs, light fixtures, switches, and patios/decks.
- Maintain flooring in public spaces such as hallways, community room, community room kitchen, laundry, and office by stripping/waxing/mopping solid surface floors, or vacuuming/shampooing carpets as necessary
- Maintain overall cleanliness of all common areas such as laundry rooms, offices, maintenance shops, community room, community room kitchen, pool/patio, office, and community room restroom facilities, including counters, floors, bathroom fixtures, appliances, windows, doors, and furnishings
- Pick up and remove all trash and litter from all interior and exterior common areas including grounds, parking lots, hallways, laundry, community room, restrooms, pool (if applicable), and rental office, ensuring all areas are free of trash, grass clippings and other debris that takes away from the cleanliness of the property or pose tripping or fall hazards
- Repair and paint fences, playground equipment, handrails, and signage
- May be responsible for enhancing the appearance and safety of exterior common areas by maintaining lawns and flower beds, including fertilizing, mowing, planting, weeding, pruning trees to remove low-hanging or dead branches, and preparation for snow/snow removal
- Responsible for observing OSHA/SDS regulations pertaining proper handling, usage, and storage of chemicals and materials
- Assist maintenance in tracking and maintaining appropriate levels of supplies needed to perform duties
- Responsible for maintaining and wearing the required uniform when on duty to ensure a professional and easily recognizable appearance at all times
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor consistent with skill set and duties described in job description
- Deliver notices to residents
- Perform minor repairs such as replacing light bulbs, filters, and Venetian blinds
- Unclogging drains and resetting garbage disposals in absence of other maintenance staff
- May take trash/appliances to the dump or run errands to purchase materials and supplies
- Perform other similar tasks at the request of the Property Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with the use of cleaning, lawn and other light maintenance chemicals
- Ability to use basic equipment such as Vacuum cleaner, Floor Buffer, Hand tools, lawn care equipment
- Ability to read, write and understand English language to understand SDS sheets and indicated safety precautions
- Possess/maintain a valid driver’s license and driving record consistent with current CHP insurability guidelines.
Education and experience
- Prior groundskeeping, janitorial, or housekeeping experience preferred
- High school diploma or GED preferred
The employee must provide their own reliable transportation to/from work; company vehicle, if available, is for work-related travel only. The nature of duties requires occasional evening and weekend hours. Additional evening or weekend hours may be required as workload dictates. Overtime must be pre-approved by the Property Manager, Regional Manager, or VP of Property Management.
This a part-time 40-hour week position.
Community Housing Partners (CHP) values the diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives among our employees, residents, and partners. We are dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities we serve and allows us to better serve our mission. CHP is committed to providing equal employment and advancement opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or status as a disabled, other protected, recently separated, or Armed Forces Service Medal veteran. CHP is also committed to an equitable hiring process, and we will provide accommodations in all aspects of that process. If you require accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Lateffa Smith, HR Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 382-2002 x 3322 (phone), (800) 563-8369 (fax) or 711 (TTY/TDD).
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help
High School or better.
Groundskeeping, janitorial, or housekeeping experience preferred
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)