Date: December 22, 2020
Title: Assistant Professor, Sociology, Tenure Track
Position Number: 1098
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Compensation: $59,941 (Master’s Degree), $65,241 (Ph.D.)
Reflects Fall 2021 negotiated salary.
Start Date: Fall 2021
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
Close Date: January 29, 2021
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large. Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as associated with the School of Arts and Sciences and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
• Teach Sociology courses including Introduction to Sociology, Social Problems, and/or Sociology
of Race, and related topics and courses.
• Teach Introduction to Gender Studies.
• Develop and implement teaching methods that employ interactive learning and integrate
current instructional technology.
• Develop and teach courses in multiple formats including hybrid and online.
• Participate fully as a member of the Social Sciences Department in activities such as department
meetings, curriculum development, assessment, course revision, committee membership, and
other duties as determined by the College and your Department Head.
• Advise students on academic programs and careers related to the field of Sociology.
• Engage in professional development and continuous improvement related to the field of
• Participate in cross-campus teams and committees.
• Provide leadership and mentoring for adjuncts as needed or requested by the department.
• Master's Degree in Sociology required
• Ph.D. in Sociology preferred
• Graduate study and/or scholarly work in one of the following: Gender and Sexuality Studies,
LGBTQIA Studies, Feminist Studies, Women's Studies, or a closely-related field
• Experience teaching Sociology at the college or university level required.
• Experience teaching Gender Studies courses and/or topics related to gender and sexuality
• Community college teaching experience preferred.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
• Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student
• An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age,
ethnicity, national origin and ability.
• A commitment to serve the Kent County community
• Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
• Enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to
interruptions and schedule changes.
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a professional manner.
• Classroom environment in an academic setting.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community
College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial
transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for
this position will close on January 29, 2021. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to
apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not
Grand Rapids Community College is committed to a diverse and inclusive work and learning
environment. GRCC creates an including learning and working environment that recognizes the value
and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and
employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex (including
pregnancy), sexual orientation, height, weight, national origin, disability, veteran status or genetics in all
programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to,
treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by stated and federal law. Further
information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue
NE, Grand Rapids, Mi 49503-3295.