Apply now Job no:506948
Work type:Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Department: Mech & Industrial Engineering
Union: Post Doc
Categories:Postdoctoral Research Associate
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work under the direction of Professor Golbon Zakeri at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. The position is in support of the North East Power Economics and Analytics Research Lab. (PEARL) and is sponsored by the NSF NRT and GCR grants awarded to PI Lackner, and Co-PI Zakeri.
- Develop a program of research that makes significant advances in electricity market modeling and clearing mechanisms.
- Conduct research in knowledge modeling to support the research and graduate traineeship for transition to a cleaner and more equitable electricity system.
- Work closely with collaborators at ISO-New England as well as various UMass departments and Institutes (e.g. the Energy Transition Institute).
- Supervise research activities within the lab including meeting with graduate and undergraduate students to assist them in designing their experiments, analyzing their data, and presenting their results.
- When and if opportunities come up to respond to funding opportunity announcements, requests for proposals, or other possibilities for funding related to power economics and analytics, also wind energy research, write and submit research proposals responding to those requests.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
A Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, or related fields.
Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm
Commensurate with experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your online application, a resume, cover letter and names and contact information of three (3) professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of January 31, 2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.