Back to search results Apply now Job no:632530
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering 10016576
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Engineers/Architects
Seeking a research associate, postdoctoral researcher, to support the development of research initiatives in engineering education.
Dr. Michele Grimm joined Michigan State as the Wielenga Creative Engineering Endowed Professor in January 2019. She is hoping to partner with an enthusiastic postdoctoral associate to identify and implement research opportunities related to engineering education. The position will provide the postdoctoral associate the chance to develop and conduct research related to student success and educational pedagogies, brainstorm and assist with the implementation of impactful pedagogies, and develop a personalized professional development plan to support his or her career advancement.
The Wielenga Creative Engineering Endowed Professorship was established in the Department of Mechanical Engineering to support efforts to increase student success and reduce time to degree for engineering students. The goal is to develop new ideas, in particular those that employ technology to support student learning, through the creative design process with the end objective of improving student learning, enhancing student success, and reducing the time from matriculation to graduation.
- Develop professional development plan in conjunction with supervisor, the completion of which will set individual on the path to a future faculty position
- Develop and implement research projects related to engineering education (eg creative pedagogies, factors influencing student success)
- Draft proposals to federal, internal, and other relevant funding agencies for to support planned research
- Author papers and conference abstracts describing research results
- Assist supervisor with overseeing student researchers
- Candidates must hold a PhD in an engineering discipline and have a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career that includes a focus on engineering education.
- Candidates must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates are expected to work well in a team setting, be self-motivated, and have experience with working with diverse groups of students and faculty.
Candidates with background in biomechanics are preferred, either through mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are required to submit a CV and Cover letter
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Jan 27, 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:Jan 27, 2022 Eastern Standard Time