After a 1-year mentoring period, the successful candidate will assume the role of Director of the Masters in Medical Physiology (MMP) Program and Co-director for PHYS-D1102: M1 General Human Physiology, the primary human physiology course taken by 1st year medical students and 2nd year graduate students. On average, these courses are taught to approximately 250 learners each year.
Responsibilities as MMP Director will include: mentoring and advising current MMP students and lead recruitment of incoming MMP students; reviewing the program and developing a strategic plan for program advancement; overseeing a period of change during which the institution will be undergoing curriculum reform which will likely impact the program in unanticipated ways.
Responsibilities as M1 Human Physiology Co-director will include: engaging in discussions of curriculum reform, curriculum review, student assessment, innovative active learning approaches, and acting as a course instructor.
Additional teaching opportunities and responsibilities in the Department of Physiology, Medical School, School of Pharmacy, and Graduate School are likely. The candidate may have the opportunity to participate in funded research in collaboration with research faculty.
Required Qualifications include:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Physiology or a closely related field.
- Previous effective teaching experience (as evidenced by student course evaluations and/or from references).
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ability to teach advanced level courses in Physiology.
- Postdoctoral research experience (for those interested in research).
- Participation in course development, course assessments, program reviews, student advising, and mentoring.
- Scholarship in educational journals or presentations at conferences.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is one of the largest healthcare employers in Wisconsin. We are a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists and health professionals; we discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical and health sciences; we provide cutting-edge, collaborative patient care of the highest quality; and we improve the health of the communities we serve.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.