Applicant Search Category:
University Authorized FTE:
VPR-Applied Research Lab for Intelligence & Security
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
This position handles a variety of Human Resources functional areas in support of the rapidly growing Applied Research Laboratory for Intelligence and Security (ARLIS). Over the last year the ARLIS workforce has increased in size by 300% and the growth is expected to continue at this pace through FY 25. The ARLIS Human Resources capability will need to scale accordingly to provide the necessary support to the organization’s operation. This role will provide support in the areas of human resources activities to include but not limited to onboarding, compensation guidance, appointment management, performance management, and HR compliance. The role will also assist with Talent Acquisition activities such as supporting the offer process and pre-onboarding activities for new hires. The incumbent is expected to collaborate with the ARLIS team, the Office of the Vice President for Research, and the University Human Resources Department and be a change agent as growth occurs and organizational changes take place.
Benefits SummaryTop Benefits and Perks:
Exempt Benefits Summary
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5 years’ experience (or a Master’s degree plus 2-3 years’ experience) in areas within the Human Resources function including talent acquisition, onboarding, performance management, compensation, HR compliance, and HRIS.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of talent acquisition best practices, as well as applicable policies and federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills abilities
- Strong follow up, and organizational skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives
- Ability to be self-motivated, adaptable, and comfortable with ambiguity and flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient skills in MS Office, Google Suite, Applicant Tracking Systems, and other computer-based programs
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Government Security Clearance
- Prior experience as a HR business partner in government agencies or industries that support the DOD and the intelligence community
- Proven ability to adapt to change and serve as a change agent for the lab
- Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) or SHRM Certification preferred (i.e., Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certification or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) Certification
Not Applicable to This Position
Sedentary work performed in an office environment; exerts up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Ability to pick up and drop off documents, attend meetings and events both on and off campus. Spending long hours in front of a computer screen.
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration Date
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*