This job has Expired
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, has an immediate need for a Full-time, Instructional Associate in the Writing, Reading, and Language Center (WRLC). The work schedule is Monday-Thursday, 10:00 am-7:00 pm; Friday, 10:00 am-4:30 pm; and occasional Saturday or Sunday hours. This is a Bargaining, Non-exempt, Grade 25 position. For non-exempt positions, you are not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College. Montgomery College promotes and creates a working and learning environment rooted in the basic tenets of fairness, diversity, and inclusiveness. This position is currently eligible for telework one day a week. This eligibility is subject to change, based on the needs of the WRLC.
Under supervision and/or direction, provide instructional support services to students and/or faculty in support of the College's academic programs. Work with students to tutor and demonstrate subject matter concepts and guide the students to reinforce faculty teaching. Incumbents may help students with course work, assignments, and associated study/learning activities and may lead instructional support staff and student workers in setting up, installing, and maintaining the software and hardware in desktop computers used in a learning center, as well as perform record keeping tasks. Work with faculty and/or staff to provide technical software and hardware support and training to staff, faculty, student assistants, and students.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Tutor students one-to-one and in small groups, both in-person and online, in writing, reading, speaking, and English as a second language across all disciplines.
- Provide direction to students by reviewing assignments, guides, lesson plans, texts and learning resources, explaining and discussing subjects and learning materials and advising students on learning/study techniques.
- May develop and conduct student orientations and subject matter workshops.
- Assists students in utilizing learning software and other resource materials; explain and demonstrate use of such materials, select and/or recommend such materials depending on student need, answers student questions regarding the use of such materials, and correct software problems.
- Tutor students referred for individual assistance in a subject, works with faculty lesson plans and other learning resources to repeat, supplement and strengthen understanding.
- Provide software and hardware support, training and instruction to staff, faculty and student assistants.
- May prepare and conduct workshops for faculty (individually and with faculty associates and other faculty presenters) and students, and assist with planning, organizing, advertising and record keeping of workshops.
- Create marketing materials such as flyers, posters, e-mail announcements, brochures, and Inside MC Online articles.
- May oversee and manage the daily operations of a computer lab and may maintain department’s official web site.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related academic field required or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to effectively perform the essential functions of the job.
- Three years' experience in tutoring and demonstrating concepts associated with the subject area and some experience in identifying resources that enhance the student’s learning/study experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the subject matter area to which assigned sufficient to explain and demonstrate.
- Considerable knowledge with instructional technology and educational materials employed with regard to learning resources.
- Proficiency in responding to questions and requests about the subject area
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Master’s degree in English, Composition/Rhetoric, Linguistics, TESOL, or a closely related academic field.
- ESL certificate or other specialized training in teaching English as a Second Language.
- Experience with remote tutoring practices.
- Fluency in a second language.
Hiring Range: $27.68 to $35.98/hour. Initial salary placement is based on candidate experience and internal equity. Please include a complete resume including all relevant and related work experience.
- Click Here to apply online
- Online applications must be received by December 5, 2023
- For consideration, you must: (optional)
Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your transcripts from your highest degree earned.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable).
For international degrees, you must provide US degree equivalency verified by a nationally recognized credential evaluation service.
Participation in a Maryland State Retirement System plan (Pension or Optional Retirement Plan, depending on the position). If you are already retired from the Maryland State Retirement System, you may not enroll in a Maryland State Retirement System plan at Montgomery Collage and may have earnings restrictions, per state law.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Closing DateTuesday, December 5, 2023
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*