Science Translational Medicine, the American Association for the Advancement of Science , Washington, District of Columbia
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Science Translational Medicine are seeking a talented scientist, physician scientist or clinician interested in biomedical/translational research to join the Science Translational Medicine editorial team preferably in our Washington, DC, USA or Cambridge, UK office.
This editorial position is a fulltime position designed for a PhD scientist, MD/PhD physician scientist or MD clinician with broad research experience in cancer/cancer immunotherapy. We seek applicants who have a broad interest in translational research, the ability to rigorously and critically evaluate scientific and/or clinical research papers, as well as excellent communication and networking skills.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the evaluation, review, and editing of submitted research manuscripts in the field of cancer and cancer immunotherapy
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviewer comments with the editorial team, members of the Board of Reviewing Editors, and the authors
- Write short summaries of research papers for publication
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style
- Follow manuscripts through the production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Commission and edit Review, Perspective and Focus articles on a broad range of topics
- Commission and edit review and opinion content for special issues
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through meetings, lab visits and professional contacts
- Represent Science Translational Medicine at scientific meetings nationally and internationally.
- Mastery of one or more biomedical fields typically acquired through completion of a doctoral or medical degree in at least one biomedical or clinical research field
- 2 to 5 years post PhD or MD experience, including postdoctoral research experience in one or more translational fields and multiple publications
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a tight-knit dynamic team
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors
- Excellent outreach skills in order to effectively recruit top research papers to the journal
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing and modifying manuscripts
- Prior scientific editorial experience is not essential but is preferred (at the Senior Editor level, 5 years of experience selecting/editing research is required).
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by October 22, 2020 at http://bit.ly/STMEditor0920
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs.