School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
The lab of Tammara Watts, MD, PhD has an immediate position for a postdoctoral research scientist. This position will investigate the role of the PDGFR-α signaling pathway in the tumor microenvironment in head and neck cancer biology. Preference will be given to highly self-motivated individuals interested in career advancement and growth opportunities.
Please submit an electronic curriculum vitae, a brief letter of research interest and a list of references.
- Organizing and implementing complex research plans, the development of methods, data collection, analysis and evaluation, and writing.
- Assist the Principal Investigator in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences www.headandnecksurgery.duke.edu . Analyze and interpret collected and prepare reports of high-profile data to investigators with a rapid turnaround time.
- Research new products, tests, and methods and report on relative feasibility, quality, and benefits of new developments.
- Summarize completed protocols and studies; write scientific articles and manuscripts for publication and presentation.
- Monitor progress of research projects and coordinate with Principal Investigator to stay on budget and schedule to meet the milestones and deliverables.
- Training in bioethics, laboratory management, and scientific writing.
- Maintain accurate laboratory documentation of experiments, including raw experimental data and laboratory notebooks.
- Present scientific results at meetings and publish results in peer-reviewed journals.
PhD, MD, or MD, PhD; minimum one first author publication, expertise in molecular biology techniques including western blot, flow cytometry, QT-PCR, RNA/DNA extraction, protein purification, siRNA. Ideal candidates will possess excellent oral and written communication.
Postdoctoral appointments are generally for up to 3 years.
Job Code: 00003820 POSTDOCTORAL ASSOCIATE
Job Level: 00
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.