Networking and Technical Specialist
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Networking and Technical Specialist at our Ironwood, Michigan campus. The salary range for this position is $42,940-$59,125. We seek a candidate with excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
• Maintain a stable and secure IT infrastructure through network design, maintenance, server administration, monitoring, and issue resolution.
• Provide user access and support through workstation setup, software installations, and account administration.
• Help keep infrastructure up to date by performing system upgrades with thorough research and cost analysis.
• Provide student and employee end user support for workstations, personal devices, printers, and peripherals.
• Work independently to perform research, analysis, troubleshooting, and problem solving.
• Effectively plan, prioritize, time-box, and self-manage multiple initiatives at a given time.
• Develop and maintain centralized documentation of IT infrastructure and policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong customer focus.
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
• Mentor student employees.
• Preferred Knowledge and Experience with:
• Firewall Administration Including SonicWALL, Sophos, or a Similar Technology • Microsoft Server Administration, Backup, and Failover Strategy
• Microsoft Office 365 Administration
• Microsoft Exchange and Outlook
• Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy
• Server Virtualization • Cloud-based Storage Solutions
• Phone System Administration with AVAYA or a Similar Technology
• Beginner to Intermediate knowledge of SQL (Structured Query Language) Programming
• Associate’s degree with a focus on information technology.
• At least 3 years of experience with a focus on information technology.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand. Need to frequently move about offices and campus; able to walk distances and bend or stoop. Frequent operation of networking items and office equipment such as computers, copiers, fax machines and phones. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality. Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome-focused philosophy. Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures. About Our Region: A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
• Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
• A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond.
• Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students. '
A Bold Place to Ski…
• Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
• The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself. • Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture.
• Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest.
• With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic’s Mission Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Application Process Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all of the following: A letter of interest A detailed resume Three references with current contact information GCC Application for Employment Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment) Other relevant material to:
Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road Ironwood, MI 49938 (906) 932-4231 ext. 324 firstname.lastname@example.org
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer. The College will conduct all interviews via video conference during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Click here to see the College’s response to COVID-19 https://gogebic.edu/