This is a full-time, academic year, tenure-track position in English at the DSCC main Campus in Dyersburg and at the Gibson County Center in Trenton, TN. The position reports to the Dean of Arts and Sciences. Position contingent upon funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach 30 hours (TLE) per academic year in a combination of learning support, co-requisite, and/or college-level English. The courses will be any combination of day, evening, online, or hybrid courses.
- Ability to teach and manage multiple courses in an individualized setting.
- Teach a range of ages from Dual Enrollment high school students to nontraditional, returning adults and to inmates in nearby prisons.
- Recruit students from area high schools and from the community to make DSCC’s program viable and competitive.
- Flexibility to teach evenings/weekends and/or off-campus courses as needed (requires the use of personal vehicle).
- Practice a learning-centered educational philosophy and redesign courses to include research-based learning strategies including service learning opportunities, learning communities, critical thinking skills, co-operative learning, and reading across the curriculum.
- Develop web-enhanced courses for delivery in technology-enhanced classrooms/labs (such as interactive (ITV) rooms), zoom, online or in a hybrid mode or from home.
- Develop cooperative education opportunities for students in the local community that provide capstone experiences for the program.
- Become certified in and fully use the course management system for all classes.
- Provide course materials and information in a format that is accessible for all students.
- Work with colleagues to assess the effectiveness of courses, analyze the results, develop and implement improvement plans, and document this information each semester in the form prescribed by DSCC.
- Assist with the identification and mentoring of adjunct instructors.
- Revise and develop curriculum in cooperation with colleagues; assist in preparation of schedules and in selection of textbooks (including e-textbooks when appropriate).
- Participate in professional development and maintain membership in an appropriate regional, state and/or national organization related to teaching assignment at DSCC.
- Advise students, maintain regular office hours, and participate in college life and committee work of the College.
- Willingness to acquire software certifications as needed.
- Assist in grant writing.
- Actively communicate with colleagues and students using email, voice mail, text and other electronic means. Normally, responses are expected in no more than 72 hours.
- Be trained and certified as a Master Advisor.
- Willingness to teach in correctional facilities (prisons and jails).
- Willingness to complete 25 modules in the Effective Practice Framework from the Association of College and University Educators (ACUE).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Sedentary: Desk work; travel will be required for college or program activities. Insignificant effort other than normal movement. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Minimal Hazard/Exposure: Standard office settings. At least minimal environmental controls to assure health and comfort.
- Ability to communicate well in oral and written English.
- Actively communicate with colleagues using email and other electronic means.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to teach and evaluate student performance.
- Ability to maintain required records.
- Ability to work with staff and colleagues in department and college committees and related activities.??
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree with 18 graduate semester hours in English from a regionally accredited institution.
- Teaching experience.
- Doctorate from a regionally accredited institution.
- Preference will be given to candidates with 18 graduate hours in an additional discipline supporting the general education core.
Three (3) letters of reference, Cover Letter, and Resume must be uploaded. Official Transcripts (where applicable) must be sent directly to the Office of Human Resources, 1510 Lake Road, Dyersburg, TN 38024.
DSCC requires OFFICIAL college transcripts be sent directly by the institution before an applicant packet is reviewed by the search committee. Unofficial transcripts can be downloaded. However, the applicant file is not considered complete until we receive the OFFICIAL transcripts from the institution for the highest degree awarded. Request transcript(s) be sent to: Dyersburg State Community College Attn: Human Resources 1510 Lake Road Dyersburg, TN 38024
Initial appointment (when applicable) is contingent upon completion of an acceptable background check.