Position TitleSTEM Outreach Assistant
Division/DepartmentScience and Mathematics
Part-time, Starting Salary $13.15 – $14.58; Commensurate with Experience
Position Accountabilities and Essential FunctionsThe successful candidate must demonstrate experience, skills, and commitment to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion in student, faculty and staff.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Assist middle school students as they interact with the STEM Explorer modules set up as a hands-on museum we take out to the schools on our mobile lab.
- Set up modules at the start of the school visit and pack up modules at the end of the visit.
- Assist high school students as they design and model their prototypes in SOLIDWORKS® over several weeks.
- Restock STEM Explorer supplies and change out on-board modules.
- Clean and organize workspace on a daily basis.
- Develop new student modules.
- Support STEM Explorer Supervisor in developing, modifying, and trouble-shooting modules.
- Support program as needed; may include administrative assistant duties.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and with diverse population of students, teachers, and other team members.
- Ability to work in a fast-moving environment and complete a variety of tasks.
- Demonstrate problem-solving ability and ability to apply creative solutions to unpredictable challenges.
- At least 20 credit hours of college level courses in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Knowledge of and/or the ability to learn STEM concepts for each student module.
- Ability to demonstrate competency in high school level mathematics.
- Strong verbal communication and listening abilities.
- Ability to guide students through modules.
- Computer skills that include booting and starting software on PC computers, iPad tablets, and gaming systems.
- Able to lift objects up to 50lbs.
- Availability on M, W, F and some weekend and evening dates; ability to work flexible schedule including some early and late hours.
- Reliable own transportation and ability to transport self to regional schools.
- Ability to learn on the job
Additional Experiences Considered
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES CONSIDERED
- 40 credits of college level courses in STEM.
- Microsoft Office software experience.
- Experience with SOLIDWORKS® or another 3D parametric modeling program.
- Computer programming experience
-Arduino and Tcl programming language
-Raspberry pi experience preferred
-C and Lua programming language
- Experience working with middle or high school age students.
- Secondary Education course work.
- Ability to use basic hand tools to repair or build new modules.
- Familiarity with Stratasys FDM 3D printers.
Position will remain open until filled. The College reserves the right to close the recruitment process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete an on-line application and attach a cover letter with position title, resume, three current names of professional references, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire) and/or certifications and licenses.