Position TitleCustodian - District Pool
Position TypeClassified Substitute pool
Number of Months AssignmentNot To Exceed 60 Days
Current Work Schedule
Days and hours of employment vary depending on District needs. Monday -Thursday: all shifts Friday: 12 noon to 8:30 am.
DepartmentFacilities Services (Dept)
About Rio Hondo College
About Río Hondo College
Río Hondo College welcomes and embraces all students in their educational and career pathways. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), our College has a student population of 22,000, of which 18,000 are Latinx students. We were the first college in Los Angeles County to provide two years of free tuition to first-time, full-time college students through our Río Promise program. We are proud to acknowledge that many of our students have transferred to high ranked institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, USC and UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, and Whittier College to name a few.
Our caring and dedicated student-centered staff, faculty, and administrators are devoted to the advancement of educational justice, equity, and opportunity for all our students. Our College’s 900 employees, with close to 600 faculty, hold themselves accountable for the academic success of disproportionately impacted student populations. Our entire staff, with unwavering team collaboration, work hard to ensure our students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color.
Río Hondo College is committed to the recruitment of qualified and diverse employees who are dedicated to our students’ success. We recognize that diversity in an academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are steadfast in our hiring practices and staff development processes which reinforce the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. Our practices and processes also support the importance of a workforce that reflects the community and primarily our Latinx student population.
Río Hondo College employs approximately 55% tenured track faculty of color; 60% part-time faculty of color; 85% classified staff of color; and 50% administrators of color.
Río Hondo College offers 30 associate degrees that guarantee transfer (ADTs) to Cal State Universities, a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology, more than 60 certificates, a Pathway to Law School, dual enrollment with K-12 districts, state championship speech & debate team and excellent athletic teams, student leadership opportunities, travel abroad experiences and more.
In collaboration with the communities in Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, El Monte, South El Monte, Whittier, portions of Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, La Puente, the City of Industry, Los Nietos and Avocado Heights, Río Hondo College provides an exceptional academic curriculum to meet the unique needs of our region.
Under the Operations Manager, maintain an assigned group of classrooms, restrooms, office and related facilities in a clean and orderly manner.
1. Sweep, scrub, mop and wax floors; vacuum and steam clean rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other work areas; refinish floors as necessary. E
2. Wash windows, blackboards, furniture and walls; dust and polish furniture and woodwork. E
3. Empty and clean waste receptacles; sweep sidewalks; pick up paper and other debris; pick up trash containers and empty into large bins. E
4. Clean restrooms including floors, walls, fixtures, appliances and mirrors; restock supplies; polish metal fixtures; clean drinking fountains. E
5. Assist in moving, arranging and setting up furniture and equipment for special events and meetings. E
6. Perform minor, non-technical repairs to buildings and fixtures including replacing lights; report other repair and maintenance needs as appropriate. E
7. Perform security duties related to buildings and grounds during assigned times; turn lights on and off; unlock and lock doors and windows. E
8. Maintain equipment and supplies in proper working condition. E
9. Perform related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Proper methods, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work.
- Modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning and preserving floors, blackboards, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
- Requirements of maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Use cleaning materials, equipment and methods according to pre-determined standards.
- Learn and apply knowledge of the schedules, procedures and use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work.
- Maintain tools and equipment assigned in proper working order.
- Perform minor, non-technical repairs.
- Observe and report need for maintenance and repair.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Communicate effectively with others.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Valid and insurable California Driver License.
Custodian incumbents are assigned custodial duties involving cleaning and routine maintenance of buildings.
Work includes indoor and outdoor environment; subject to frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling; fumes from cleaning chemicals; some positions in this class are assigned to work during evening hours.
Lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
Rio Hondo College is currently seeking applications for temporary, hourly Custodian positions on an as needed basis.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications may be required to take a test and will be notified of the date and time.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.