Position TitleTutor and Mentor Coordinator* - PT
Internal Position TitleTutor and Mentor Coordinator*
DepartmentEducational Talent Srch Grants
The College of Lake County is looking to add a Tutor and Mentor Coordinator to their team. This position will help to improve student achievement by recruiting, training, and placing qualified tutor/mentors into the schools. The tutoring/mentoring student contact can be: one-on-one, with instructional aides, in study halls, in advisories or classrooms (before and after school and/or lunch).
The primary responsibilities include the following: Coordinating and training individuals and groups on coaching/tutoring/mentoring, as it relates to educational, career, personal development issues at high school extension sites; Conduct workshops with topics such as high school and college transition/success; Academic advising; Self-empowerment, career development, collaborate with the school site counseling office to deliver cohesive services; assist students with locating tutoring/mentoring resources and coordinate summer programming; maintain liaison contacts within the school site(s) and within CLC; utilize the TRiO ETS BLUMEN Database student information systems; participate in professional development activities; and coach/mentor diverse student populations. The Tutor and Mentor coordinator will serve to assist Specialists, as needed.
Regular Part-Time Board established positions earn Vacation and Sick Leave and Tuition waiver for CLC classes and Tuition Reimbursement for advanced degrees. In addition, employees are eligible to participate in the State University Retirement System (SURS)
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Psychology, Sociology, Human services, Communications, and/or other related field.
- Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Solid organizational and time management skills, as shown by previous related experience or training.
- Previous work-related experience.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Experience providing academic, career and personal coaching/counseling to secondary and/or post-secondary students.
- Knowledge of: Techniques and methods of student supervision and classroom management, pertinent rules, policies, procedures, and regulations affecting program.
- Maintain highest level of confidentiality in all matters relating to students.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Academic Tutoring and Mentoring experience.
- Work experience with high school or college-preparation and/or tutoring & mentoring.
- Experience working with diverse populations; Spanish-speaking a plus.
Expected Start Date02/21/2019
Special Instructions Summary
*This is a grant funded position; continued employment in this position is based on external funding sources.
Total Hours per week25.00
Tuesday – Thursday 12:00pm-5:30pm
Friday – as needed
Employee schedule must be flexible and will be adjusted to meet program needs.
Software Testing RequiredPowerpoint
Interview Process RequirementsPresentation
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V