Date: January 7, 2020
Position Title: Support Professional, Experiential Learning
Position Number: 1033
Hours Per Week: 20 Hours/52 Weeks*
Salary Schedule: APSS, Level B - $17.08/hour
Reports to: Director of Experiential Learning
Posting closes: January 21, 2020
*Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, working between M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm and may include some evenings and/or weekends
The Department of Experiential Learning Support Professional manages several program-specific processes and procedures for the department, provides timely consultation to department stakeholders, supports the coordination and facilitation of events, and has significant responsibilities for maintaining multiple department accounts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Office Environment and College Interactions:
- Present a positive and professional image, that expresses the College’s mission, vision, values, and ends to the community, our students, visitors, and colleagues.
- Assist in the design, development, and implementation of department services and processes.
- Operate an efficient office, provide high-level secretarial support, and serve as a first point of contact for the Department of Experiential Learning.
- Maintain discretion when dealing with sensitive and/or confidential information, and maintain records and office activities in strict confidence.
- Assist in the coordination of and actively participate in department events.
- Assist in space planning and room scheduling, ordering food, prepare meeting materials, and recording minutes.
- Assist in making appropriate travel arrangements for department stakeholders as needed.
- Plan and work collaboratively with College employees, especially those who support the scheduling and designations of service learning, honors and study away courses, representatives within Cashiers, Financial Aid, Registrar, and Financial Services and to Support Professional who report to other offices within Instructional Support.
- Regular attendance during scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for performing the essential functions of this position.
- Ensure office area has adequate stock of marketing materials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Experiential Learning
- Establish and maintain a variety of accurate and easy-to-use tracking, reporting and filing systems with emphasis on creating sustainable, paperless processes where possible.
- Support the study away student application process, including:
o Making updates to the online application.
o Sending timely email communications during key stages of the review and approval process to Student Life and Conduct, Campus Police and faculty.
- Meet with students approved for Study Away travel to review payment procedures and other travel requirements.
- Coordinate the process of collecting risk management documents from students participating in study away experiences.
- Coordinate the approval process for Study Away Third Party agreements.
- Coordinate the process of students applying to the Honors Program including email confirmations, tracking, and troubleshooting.
- Coordinate the process of students receiving the Honors Program Scholarship including recipient communications and collaboration with Financial Aid.
- Coordinate the process for Honors Ambassador semester stipends.
- Coordinate the registration process for faculty integrating service learning into their course(s) including,
o Making updates to the online registration form.
o Sending communication reminders to faculty.
o Monitoring the tracking process for transcript designations.
o Adding transcript designations.
- Coordinate the registration process for students registering for service learning, including:
o Making updates to the online registration form.
Payroll & Budgeting:
- Provide active support to the Director in the monitoring and management of all department accounts.
- Maintain department accounts, including:
o File and track department contracts.
o Submit, monitor, and adjust as needed blanket purchase orders.
o Process department invoices with accounts payable.
o Monitor, reconcile and audit department accounts.
o Prepare and submit expense reimbursements.
o Track receipts and reconcile budget for department credit cards.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Greet faculty, visitors, students and other members of the College and community and respond appropriately to requests made in person, via telephone, e-mail or other social media from individuals regarding the College.
- Check voicemail, email, and telephone requests daily; taking action on student and staff requests.
- Participate as a member of College, Divisional, and Departmental teams or committees as requested or as mutually agreeable.
- Interview, select, train, evaluate, and supervise student employees as needed.
- Prioritize work effectively to ensure that tasks are completed within assigned deadline.
- Actively engage in professional development activities that reinforce existing skills and result in greater knowledge and efficiency in assigned work.
- Associate's degree required.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of three (3) or more years of administrative assisting experience (preferably in a higher education
- Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with people of diverse ages, ethnic, sexual and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to become a resource for information about experiential learning, its programs and the College in general.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and complete task in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities and be able to exert initiative and resourcefulness.
- Proficient computer skills in PeopleSoft Campus Wide Information System, Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in G Suite, Microsoft Office and a willingness to learn and use new technologies.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to work under pressure. Possess mature judgment and is flexible in regards to interruptions and ability to handle pressure situations.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Excellent multitasking and project management skills.
- Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.
- Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality and ethical standards.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on January 21, 2020 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are
encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available. Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.