ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
The Associate Controller will assist the AVP/Controller with management of financial processes and controls along with daily operations relating to accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll. The Associate Controller must excel at customer service, written and oral communication, and establishing credibility and effective working relationships within a diverse college environment. The Associate Controller will review the operation’s cash receipts, payroll, and accounts payable on a daily basis. The Associate Controller must be self-motivated, highly productive, and have the ability to work independently and solve problems. The Associate Controller will be a key participant in the review of financial policies and procedures and the development of a new accounting structure.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Significant role in annual financial statement audit preparation
• Organizes and supervises the daily recording and reconciliation of the College’s revenue receipts and cash.
• Supervises the preparation and posting of investment accounting on a monthly basis.
• Oversees the preparation of the Investment Performance Report for the Board of Trustees.
• Manages the College's General Ledger, including review of funds structure and accounts and year-end closing processes.
• Records contributions to the College in the General Ledger and communicates with the Institutional Advancement to ensure accuracy of accounting.
• Manages Accounts Payable staff’s daily processes, including the issuance of accounts payable checks, Ach transfers, and Fed wires.
• Assists the Controller in the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements
• Manages the bi-weekly issuance of the College’s payroll and attendance records. Supervises tax and garnishment payments to outside government agencies.
• Coordinates Federal, State and local tax reporting for employees and outside vendors including, but not limited to, W-2’s, 1099 Misc.’s and 1042’s.
• Preparation of quarterly Investment and Finance Board of Trustee reports
• Analyzes costs relating to the operation of the college facilities, recommending to management, opportunities for cost reduction.
• Manages government and grants accounting and provides reports of restricted accounts to track expenditures against available funding.
• Organizes the receipt and reconciliation of Federal Student Loans with the Center for Student Services. Reviews the Student Loan Refunds prior to release.
• Preparation and maintenance of departmental procedures in conjunction with Assistant Controller
• Works with the independent external auditors throughout the year-end financial audit, the financial aid single audit and the pension plan audit.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Board of Trustee approved, authorized signatory.
• Must have a BA or BS
• A Master’s degree or CPA is also a plus
• Must also have experience with not-for-profit organizations, preferably institutions of higher learning
• Two to four years of experience directly relating to the duties and responsibilities specified is also required
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures in a nonprofit college setting.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to manipulate numbers
• Knowledge of Access, Datatel Colleague, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Cash Management Systems.