Position TitleSLCC Student, Workstudy - Specialist II or III, Fair Credit Foundation (Off-Campus)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Service Leadership Coordinator
Position TypeOne Year Temporary
Job CategoryWork Study - Variable
Initial Work LocationMultiple Locations
Starting Salary$12.55 - $15.17
Job Open Date07/30/2019
Open Until FilledYes
Fair Credit Foundation has been providing free financial counseling services since 1997. Our mission is to “Teach individuals and families how to manage their finances wisely to improve and sustain financial well-being.”
Fair Credit Foundation is a capacity building status community partner of Salt Lake Community College’s Thayne Center for Service and Learning. The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community. Though the position will be a direct placement at the Fair Credit Foundation, the Thayne Center for Service and Learning will administer the orientation, enrollment, and exit from the Community Work Study program and will act as an on-campus supervisor.
Under the supervision of a certified personal finance counselor, the Financial Assistant work study student would gain understanding of personal finances by gathering information from people applying for services in FCF’s financial coaching and monitored savings programs. Position requires good customer service skills, attention to detail and ability to learn and use databases.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Interact with applicants via email, phone, and occasional 1:1 in FCF’s offices or on campus.
- Ability to understand and communicate program requirements to inquiries.
- Perform financial reviews to determine eligibility in the program.
- Weekly checkups with applicants to remind them what steps they still need to complete.
- Upload documents and enter information into our client database
- Must have a SLCC Federal Work-Study Award
- Must work at least 10 hours a week during the semester
- Must pass a background check
- Attend all Thayne Center orientations and trainings related to this program.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must pass a background check and sign a confidentiality agreement
Spanish speaking is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Customer service experience
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Non-Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Flexible hours
- Office is located close to public transportation
- On the job training
- On site parking
Work Study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study Program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA online application from the Financial Aid office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible to work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.