Job TitleSecurity Officer
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary)$4,469.83/month
Job LocationLas Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Security Officer for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
This is a protective service occupation. Under general supervision, the employee enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings, grounds and other properties of the College and performs some functions that are clerical in nature. The employee has daily and direct contact with staff and college visitors and works outdoors in all types of weather. Errors in decision could result in injury to the users of District facilities.
This is a grant/categorically funded position. Continuation of this position is contingent upon available funding on a year to year basis.
1. Patrols campus grounds either on foot or in a security vehicle; responds to emergencies and various calls for service such as lock-outs, automotive emergencies, etc.; takes reports from citizens
2. Investigates violations, accidents and incidents occurring on campus
3. Enforces rules and regulations governing the use of college buildings and grounds, issuing citations to violators
4. Reviews and makes necessary changes on all incident reports written and distributes reports to proper personnel
5. Performs periodic evaluation of student officers; assists the Security Manager in formulation of policies and procedures relating to Security Services
6. Assists in the training of officers
7. Reviews daily logs, reviews actions of complaints against student officers and administers disciplinary action
8. Reviews and prepares all student time tickets weekly
9. Prohibits the admittance to college premises of unauthorized persons; checks night meetings to ensure that facilities are being used by authorized persons and that the meetings are under control
10. Investigates reports of vandalism; performs various types of follow-up investigations
11. Assists in traffic control at athletic events and special programs
12. Transports funds from special events; makes reports; keeps the daily log
13. Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience
Any combination of the following would provide a typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade; AND
One year of experience in law enforcement, plant protection or security.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Possession of a valid California Tear Gas Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, the 24-hour school security officer course as required by California Education Code 72330.5
1. Security methods and crowd control techniques
2. Techniques of traffic and parking control
3. Pertinent Federal, State, City and District laws, rules, regulations and policies including laws of removal and/or arrest, legal rights of students and citizens, judicial procedures and rules of evidence
4. Investigating procedures
5. General modern office procedures
6. Basic legal rights of students
7. Emergency procedures
1. Enforcing pertinent policies, rules and regulations
2. Remaining alert and exercising sound judgment while under pressure
3. Interrogating suspects, interviewing complainants and witnesses
4. Patrolling college facilities and recognizing irregularities with regard to people and facilities
5. Following and giving written and oral directions
6. Preparing reports and maintaining records
7. Establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff; meeting the public with courtesy and tact
8. Emergency procedures (first aid, CPR, crowd control, etc.).
Job Work Schedule
40 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 2:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m., hours may vary depending on department needs, 12 months/year.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Open Until FilledNo
Special Instructions to Applicants
Effective January 1, 2015, for work performed on the graveyard shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be three percent (3%). For work performed on the swing shift by employees regularly assigned to the shift, the differential shall be two percent (2%).
An employee who receives a shift differential premium on the basis of their regularly assigned shift shall suffer no reduction in pay, including differential, when assigned temporarily to a day shift for twenty (20) working days or less.
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.