Are you someone who is committed to helping people invest their resources for long-term impact? Do you enjoy leading a passionate team to develop and deliver on strategy? Do your gifts combine long-term business strategy, program management and relationship building? The Director of Development role may be a great fit.
As part of a global change initiative, World Relief is bringing together its national and local fundraising functions into one unified regional framework to oversee all giving in the greater Chicago region. The Director of Development will guide local office fundraising strategy while ensuring collaboration and synergy with WR’s Corporate-wide initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in diverse fundraising strategies, a collaborative leadership approach, and a strong results orientation.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Thought leadership: Provide internal missional and fundraising thought leadership for local fundraising staff and local office leadership team.
• Annual planning: Work alongside regional leadership teams to establish both annual and multi-year fundraising goals for local ministry and contribute to the annual fundraising goal-setting process for all of World Relief’s fundraising in the area.
• Strategy development: Lead the local development team to create the annual fundraising plan to reach financial goals, including long-term goals and multiple short-term projects with clear timelines, responsibilities and accountabilities.
• Relationship cultivation and management: Grow and maintain a portfolio of donor relationships, with specific attention to the city of Chicago, consistent with the overall development strategy; coordinate with other team members to ensure effective engagement with donors and stakeholders.
• Staff development: Provide coaching and supervision to local full-time fundraising staff and part-time volunteers (including Partnership Manager, Partnership Coordinator, and Event Contractors), investing in the development of both individual and team performance. Ensure needed volunteer roles or staff positions are hired, on-boarded, and supported.
• Assess results and drive growth: Create metrics for success across all fundraising activities, using results to adapt strategy throughout the year. Proactively review metrics as well as feedback from stakeholders to determine what is working and what can be improved for all initiatives, including events, campaigns, and products.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Strong results orientation with a proven history of increasing giving
• Strategic acumen and an ability to shape plans and activities to align with strategic goals
• Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams, leverage personal influence to reach goals, and foster strong collaboration
• Strong people management skills, with a passion for working through a team to engage stakeholders with giving opportunities
• Possess excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence, with the ability to step into challenging interpersonal situations, address conflict and maintain long-term relationships
• Confidence and cultural sensitivity to effectively engage colleagues from every area of the organization
• Highly organized with the ability to navigate competing priorities and meet concurrent objectives
• Excellent problem solving abilities with an ability to “think outside the box” on a frequent basis
• Demonstrated resilience and leadership in the face of frequent change
• Ability to articulate a personal philosophy of giving and stewardship
• Personal Christian Faith and a desire to serve vulnerable people
• Committed to the Mission, Vision and Values of World Relief
• Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of professional experience and 5+ years of related experience
• Previous non-profit fundraising experience or strong transferrable sales/marketing experience required
• Ability to use with fluency all Microsoft programs such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
• Background using contact management software strongly preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
General office setting.
Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in skype meetings may be required.
Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
LEGAL BACKGROUND IN THE UNITED STATES:
World Relief is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. This means that we conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, membership in any labor organization, political ideology, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual. The status of World Relief as an equal opportunity employer does not prevent the organization from hiring staff based on their religious beliefs, so that all staff share the same religious commitment. Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.