The newly-created position of Assistant Vice President of Academic Initiatives and Planning will be a member of the Provost's leadership councils. The AVP will support and advise the Provost on strategic initiatives and priorities, and represent the Office of the Provost on and off campus. The position offers an opportunity to assume new and evolving responsibilities as assigned by the Provost.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Management
1. Participate on Provost's leadership councils.
2. Coordinate strategic planning for Office of the Provost, including following through on goals of Academic Council Strategic Plan.
3. Act as liaison for Academic Affairs on selected University-wide projects and events, Academic Affairs Administrative Staff Council, Academic Affairs Task forces and for coordinating data inquiries with the Office of Institutional Research and others as needed.
4. Develop strategies and coordinate effective internal communications within Academic Affairs and across the University, as well as external communications, including final editorial responsibility.
5. Oversee new initiatives and projects, conduct comparative research, consult with external organizations, synthesize and summarize data, and provide recommendations for instituting and enhancing policies, procedures and guidelines.
6. Supervise office personnel, as appropriate.
7. Support cross-institution communication and collaboration related to the university-wide Engagement Advisory Group.
8. Support shared governance efforts, including working with Faculty Senate and administrative units across Academic Affairs.
9. Support Board of Visitors relationships and meetings, as appropriate.
10. Work closely with Provost to manage multiple priorities of the Office of the Provost: consolidate notes/agendas to ensure follow up, coordinate and align responses to requests from multiple divisions of the University.
1. Progressive leadership or management experience in a higher education setting.
2. Understanding of multi-layered and complex inter-relationships across institutions of higher education.
3. High level of ability to lead collaborative efforts, emphasizing inclusiveness, effectiveness and efficiency.
4. Ability to step in as Provost's representative at events and meetings as needed.
Pay Rate: Commensurate with Experience
James Madison University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer and especially encourages applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.