Position TitleWriting Tutor
ClassificationNBU Position - Tutor/Coach/Instructor
Course(s)Writing Across the Curriculum
Anticipated ScheduleTime Varies Monday - Thursday 8AM-7PM & Friday 8AM-2PM
LocationMain Campus-Crystal Lake
Projected Start Date12/03/2018
Projected End Date08/14/2020
• Tutor students.
• Analyze students’ needs.
• Answer students’ questions.
• Guide students’ development.
• Clarify areas of concern.
• Communicate with supervisors on students’ progress and potential problems.
• Attend trainings and meetings as required or suggested.
• Complete documentation necessary for providing tutorial assistance.
Education Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in English, writing, communications, journalism or related fields of study
Experience Minimum Qualifications:
At least one year of experience in tutoring or teaching students in writing/English
Skills and Specifications:
• Knowledge in subject area to be tutored
• Strong writing skills (such as focus and content development, organization, grammar, and other elements important in writing process)
• Well versed in MLA and APA formatting because writing tutoring is across the curriculum
• Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills
• Strong communications skills (listening, presenting, and writing
• Ability to understand and work with students from diverse backgrounds and having diverse skills and abilities
• Knowledge of and ability to adapt to different learning styles
• Ability to multi-task and tutor in a group setting
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint and possess basic computer skills
Experience Desired Qualifications:
Familiarity with online tutoring and/or learning management systems (LMS such as CANVAS, Blackboard, etc.)
Applications accepted until the position is filled?Yes