PositionInstructor of General Biology (Pending Board Approval)
Employee TypeFull Time
Work Year9 Months
Other Work Year Specification(August-May)
Other Work Week SpecificationVaries. Based on the needs of the college, this may include a combination of day, evening, weekend, and online classes.
Typical Work Schedule
This is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position that requires the successful candidate to teach a minimum of 30 credit hours per academic year. In addition, faculty schedule weekly conference hours and are otherwise available regularly for student inquiry. Service on college committees and participation in departmental, divisional, shared governance, and college-wide initiatives is required as well.
Bargaining Unit EligibleYes-Faculty Council
MCC instructors are higher education professionals who champion student learning. They engage and inspire students, applying innovative teaching and learning pedagogies to reach a variety of learners. They assess student learning to ensure student success, staying abreast of current and emerging trends in the discipline. Our instructors collaborate within the College as discipline experts, helping the College to reach its strategic goals through active participation in college committees and by promoting the College to future students throughout our community.
Reports toAssociate Vice President of Arts and Sciences
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Full-time faculty members at MCC are subject to the following expectations:
1. Demonstrate content expertise and currency within their academic field.
2. Develop and maintain an increasingly diverse and effective pedagogical skill set that reflects our philosophy as established in our mission: Our focus is learning. Student success is our goal.
3. Possess both the willingness and the ability to share expertise with students, colleagues, and the broader college community in a manner that is engaging and effective
4. Engage in continued professional growth, scholarly engagement, and/or creative development.
5. Demonstrate both the willingness and the ability to embrace technology within the college environment.
6. Develop and maintain a solid commitment to college service and community engagement.
7. Engage in professional behavior and participate actively in teamwork while respecting the diversity of values, opinions, and backgrounds both inside and outside the classroom environment.
QualificationsMaster's Degree from a regionally accredited institution
• Masters of Science in Biological Sciences from a regionally accredited institution with broad-based biology background or advanced degree in related field with at least 18 graduate hours in Biology from an accredited University
• Successful teaching or training experience
• Willingness to use educational technology (e.g. Canvas)
• Demonstrated commitment to professional growth, especially regarding contemporary expertise specific to assigned teaching content
• Ability to safely lift up to 40 pounds unassisted
• Commitment to the mission of the community college and to teaching and motivating community college students in ways appropriate to their diverse backgrounds and learning styles
• PhD in Biological Sciences from a regionally accredited institution
• Community College experience
• Grant-writing experience
Additional Skills and SpecificationsSupport and participate in the College's commitment to continuous improvement
Employment ContingenciesCriminal Background Check
LocationCrystal Lake - Main Campus
Applications may be accepted until the position is filledYes
Benefit Information & PerksBenefit Program FT Faculty 10-17: Download Form, Mandatory Payroll Deduction Form 10-2018: Download Form
Special Instructions to Applicants
In your cover letter or teaching philosophy statement, please be sure to address your commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college. Explain as well your process of teaching and motivating community college students in ways appropriate to their diverse backgrounds and learning styles. All finalists will be required to present a formal teaching demonstration.
Testing RequirementsA teaching demonstration is required of all interviewees for this position.