The Student Success coach will provide direct services to students in support of the College’s efforts to increase student persistence, retention, certificate/degree completion and successful transfer. This person will operate in a case management student services role, focused on retention management, outreach and intervention. Activities include recruiting, assessing, placing, monitoring and following up with students to ensure completion of program and degree. Specific customized services include FastTrack for developmental education students and Challenge Scholars for high school students among other initiatives. This position requires high-touch case management. Regular communications with students, facilitators and faculty through various means such as e-mail, phone call, classroom visits, and face to face conversation is expected. The Student Success Coach is expected to be knowledgeable about community and campus resources for referrals and creative strategies to encourage and support students. This position may work in a variety of offices at GRCC, including but not limited to College Success Center, Academic Advising and Transfer Center, Academic Support Center and Enrollment Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS -
Coach students using assessment information to build Student Success Plans.
- Develop and update student profiles to determine needed student supports and services.
- Assist with providing intake assessments of individual student skills and characteristics.
- Address student needs or challenges in response to early alert reports.
- Track and monitor student progress toward goal achievement.
- Maintain current knowledge of academic and occupational degree requirements, graduation requirements, transfer requirements and pre-requisite requirements to move students toward completion.
- Assist students with course registration, admissions process, financial aid and other related topics, as needed.
- Provide case management services:
• Refer student concerns to appropriate college service area, community resources and services, as needed.
• Facilitate targeted interventions and soft skill workshops, such as time management, to assist students in academic goal achievement.
• Encourage students to complete targeted interventions and utilize campus resources.
• Monitor student classroom attendance, participation in targeted interventions, and degree/transfer completion goals.
• Schedule appointments for students with campus and community service providers, as needed.
• Record notes of student interactions, referrals, resources and interventions as applicable.
- Engage in regular communication with faculty on support strategies for students.
- Support college-wide activities such as orientation, Ready, Set, Enroll, Re-enrollment Project, etc.
- Support the College’s outreach efforts such as placement testing and FastTrack promotion and recruitment at high schools and other activities and events.
- Provide workshops to students and staff, both at GRCC and K-12 partners.
- Input and report student data as needed.
- Attend regular team meetings.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA's will be trained and responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree highly preferred.
- Degree in Higher Education, Social Work, or related field preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate preferred. Experience
- At least 1 to 3 years of work experience in higher education required (preferably in student support services).
- Work experience with at-risk populations required.
- Experience with high school students preferred.
- Experience with cognitive and non-cognitive assessments preferred.
- Experience with bio psychosocial intake preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish
– English preferred.
- Ability to relate to diverse community college student populations.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to be innovative and creative.
- Ability to organize work, handle multiple tasks, and meet timelines in a multi-project environment.
- Proficient in use of electronic student information systems (PeopleSoft), Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Scheduling and Reporting System (SARS), and other Internet applications preferred.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of data reporting systems; experience with data tracking and preparing reports preferred.
- Ability to maintain a positive customer and student oriented approach in a demanding work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Proven experience in working with diverse populations both with individuals and groups.
- Knowledge and experience with self-assessments such as GRIT and barrier checklists.
- Compliance with FERPA guidelines. - Understanding of the mission of community colleges.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
-Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to effectively manage high stress student issues and concerns.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking.
- The position requires long periods of sitting, standing, reading and writing, listening and speaking.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds. Working Conditions - Must be able to work flexible hours (i.e. evenings) including occasional weekends.
- Must be able to commute between campus locations and travel locally to participate in recruitment, testing, and intake activities in area High Schools.
- The College Success Center setting is a shared office environment (open cubicles) where coaches are accessible to students at any given time.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. The posting will remain open until April 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation