Position Title: Director, Human Resources
Job Code: AD040
Reports to: VP for Business Affairs & Chief Financial Officer
Department: Human Resources (HR)
Hours Per Week: 40+
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $74,235 - $87,336 per year
Diversity and Inclusion: Tier I
Job Summary: The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the oversight and leadership of all Human Resources related functions of the University including recruiting, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, conflict resolution and mediation, administration of the student employment program, employment policy, compliance, payroll and HR related systems.
Coaching & Counseling
· Provide general counsel to senior management regarding employment practices and decision-making.
· Act as an employee advocate as needed. Counsel employees and supervisors on a variety of employment-related issues including peer relations, time management, stress management, boundary setting, and more.
· Investigate all complaints of discrimination or harassment directed at Naropa employees.
· Assist supervisors in addressing performance or behavior related personnel issues. Provide counsel, support, materials, and act as witness/mediator.
· Counsel supervisors regarding termination of employment. Work with supervisors to document performance issues prior to termination. Coordinate all Naropa-initiated terminations, including employee layoffs, as needed.
· Facilitate group meetings and disputes as requested or required.
· Coach and guide University leaders in management and resolution of employee issues regarding ADA/ADAAA, FMLA, EEOC and DOL audits and claims.
· Work closely with senior management, university legal counsel, and Mountain States Employer's Council to reduce university legal liability and exposure.
Compensation & Benefits
· Create, manage, maintain, review, and update university compensation policies, systems, and salary ranges. Provides data to university constituents upon request.
· Provide counsel to supervisors and senior management regarding starting salaries, compensation increases, and promotional opportunities/rewards.
· Research and provide guidance on compensation rates using industry benchmarks.
· Recommend approaches to strategically address compensation needs across the university.
· Participate actively in the design, selection, and oversight of all benefits.
· Lead the University Benefits Committee responsible for review and approval of all benefit programs for the University.
· Oversee all benefit programs and work closely with legal counsel, auditors and Mercer to complete strategic planning, renewal negotiations, annual reporting and resolution of plan issues to ensure ERISA compliance.
· Maintain contracts for all benefit plans.
· Create opportunities for staff community-building as well as recognition and reward.
· Support development of and opportunities for inclusion of adjunct faculty, teaching assistants, and student employees in the larger university employment context.
· Develop communication tools to increases the visibility and impact of Human Resources with the Naropa community.
· Ensure timely and accurate information is available on My.Naropa.Edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity
· Work together with appointed staff to create cultural competency and introduce diversity initiatives for staff. Support University-wide diversity initiatives.
· Develop and maintain the university's Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
· Ensure that discrimination in any form of employment does not occur; openly address areas of discrimination when they do occur.
· Coordinate development of procedures and systems with Student Affairs when employee procedures and student procedures overlap.
· Create and maintain a positive team environment and behave professionally with everyone encountered in the course and scope of the job duties.
· Supervise, train, and develop the Human Resources team, including Payroll.
· Create a culture of customer service and accountability in Human Resources.
· Develop the strategy for Human Resources at Naropa including annual goals and project plans.
· Respond daily to general questions, walk-ins, e-mail, and telephone messages.
· Ensure that the University operates in compliance with applicable employment laws.
· Manage HR and Payroll vendor and broker relationships.
· Develop and manage the departmental budget.
· Additional duties, projects, or initiatives as requested or required.
· Oversees the payroll function for the University, including acting as the Security Master within the HR/Payroll system.
· Reviews change reports and associated documentation following the processing for each pay period, in accordance with auditor recommendations.
· Responds to payroll inquiries including problem resolution, providing direction and correcting errors.
· Works closely with Accounting to ensure the accurate and timely flow of payroll information.
· On a periodic basis, reviews payroll system performance standards for improvements including leading in system conversions and/or upgrades.
Selection & Placement
· Provide guidance to hiring managers regarding job descriptions, interviewing techniques and offer letters.
· Oversee the application process for all employee positions including generation of job descriptions and postings.
· Manages the visa process, and relationship with legal, counsel for all faculty and staff candidates.
· Coordinate and supervise the faculty agreements process each semester.
Student Employment Administration
· Oversee the hiring process and orientation of all student employees.
· Maintain an "Open Door" policy for all university student employees.
· Relate to the Finance, Financial Aid, and Student Affairs departments as needed.
Training & Development
· Develop and oversee employee training programs including delivery of a regular training schedule.
· Continuously assess the University's need for additional training and education.
· Responsible for implementation and administration of the University's performance appraisal system including ongoing policy, procedure and process review.
· Coordinate educational opportunities with pertinent business partners to bring educational opportunities to community members.
University Procedures & Systems
· Review and streamline University systems and processes to facilitate the employment and applicant experience for all constituents.
· Oversee the performance appraisal system and process including initiating, monitoring and distributing performance appraisals monthly.
· Develop, maintain and update the Employee Handbook.
· Develop policies and procedures as needed and ensure they are communicated and available to all employees; provide training as needed.
· Respond to questions regarding policies and procedures.
· Oversee maintenance of the university's organizational chart.
· Act as the Security Master and Portal Administrator for the HRIS/Payroll system and ensure the integrity of data maintained within the system.
· Responsible for regulatory and industry reporting including, but not limited to, IPEDS, DOL, CUPA and AAUP.
· A bachelor's degree in human resources management, business, psychology or a related field is required.
· 4-6 years of experience as a human resources generalist, with at least 2 years of experience in supervision and departmental management.
· SPHR and/or SHRM-SCP certification or equivalent experience required.
· Ability to create and maintain a positive team environment and behave professionally with everyone encountered in the course and scope of the job duties.
· Knowledge of MS Office products and experience with an integrated payroll/HRIS system.
· Expertise in written and oral communication, boundary setting, supervision, delegation, counseling, planning, public speaking, conflict resolution, and human resources regulations required.
· Must be able to maintain confidentiality and have a sense of humor and level head.
· Demonstrated understanding of the dynamics of privilege and oppression and the impact these have on equity, access, and opportunity in higher education/the workplace.
· Commitment to co-create an inclusive community and actively participate in related professional development including openness to feedback and on-going self-examination.
· Master's degree in a related field.
· Human Resources experience in higher education.
· Experience with ADP WorkforceNow.
· Certification and/or advanced training in mediation or conflict resolution, compensation, employment law, and diversity/multiculturalism.
Applications: Application review continues until position is filled. Qualified candidates should apply online and include a letter of interest and resume.
Naropa Full-time Benefits
At Naropa we recognize that our people are key to our success, and we are proud to invest in them. In addition to our rich intellectual and experiential work environment, Naropa University offers a premium benefits package for our full time faculty and staff. This package includes employer contributions towards a selection of Medical and Dental plans, Life and AD&D Insurance, and Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage.
We provide generous tuition remission for employees and their family members, including for-credit and auditing classes, as well as a tuition exchange program with 435 colleges and universities across the US that afford you the opportunity to continue your education. Naropa also provides a 403(b) retirement plan and RTD bus passes at no charge to full-time employees. We also have paid leave allowances for sick, vacation and personal time. More information on our benefits can be found on the Employment page on our website.