Sociology Instructor (9-Months)
Full Job Description
Under the supervision of the appropriate Program Head/Department Chair/Director or Dean, the full-time instructor is responsible for teaching course content, preparing, and keeping appropriate records and syllabi for all assigned courses. Each full-time instructor will provide effective instruction in all classes by implementing active learning strategies and focusing on student learning outcomes. At all times, instructional personnel should be aware of the need to continue the personal and professional growth necessary to perform their duties.
This position is assigned to the VGCC South Campus in Creedmoor, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the collegeâ€™s service area is possible. Consistent with VGCCâ€™s Teleworking Policy, this position is eligible for up to 2 days per week of telework after the first 6 months of employment in this position.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required for this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Teach assigned classes in all delivery formats (i.e., in-person, online, and hybrid).
- Assist the Department Chair/Dean with all instructional activities within the department including, but not limited to the following: development, maintenance, and evaluation of educational materials pertinent to individual and overall department and program needs.
- Assess student learning outcomes and demonstrate the use of the results to make improvements to courses/programs.
- Communicate with students via Moodle as appropriate per course design (i.e., in-person, online, and hybrid).
- Recommend improvements to course/program based on assessment results
- Maintain suitable class records which show student membership hours, academic progress, etc.
- Maintain appropriate course documents, such as syllabi, objectives, tests, lesson plans, etc.
- Maintain a minimum of five posted office hours per week for student conferences.
- Participate as a member of assigned institutional committees and attend scheduled department/division meetings.
- Serve as a faculty advisor for assigned students in matters pertaining to an adviseeâ€™s academic progress, scheduling, and related matters.
- Engage in professional development.
- Implement new, innovative teaching techniques.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Department Chair/Dean.
- Masterâ€™s degree in Sociology or an earned Masterâ€™s degree (or higher) in another field with 18 graduate semester hours in the discipline of Sociology.
- Degrees and hours must be from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Physical proximity to the VGCC service area is necessary, as in-person instruction is required for this position.
- Successful teaching experience in a community/technical college or similar post-secondary institution.
- Online teaching experience with the Moodle LMS.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*