Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks a Communications Associate who will provide critical support for the President, Vice President, and other members of Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (WPF) in the areas of communications and external affairs. While WPF prefers to keep a low profile, there is a need for someone to manage our internal communications, reports to our donors on our work, and the occasional outside communications related to public relations.
The ideal candidate will be well‐organized while also being a creative thinker with an ability to shift priorities quickly as needed, and able to lead work independently.
Key responsibilities for the Associate include:
- As needed in collaboration with an outside public relations firm, draft press materials, and serve as on‐the‐record spokesperson.
- Plan and prepare talking points and presentation materials as needed for the President and other senior leaders’ as part of their participation at important events.
- Support event logistics and planning around donor convenings.
- Serve as a resource for programs in thinking about strategic communications.
- Monitor the internet and social media channels for positive and negative stories about WPF.
- Ensure quality of content in print and on web by copyediting, proofreading, and ensuring consistent style and brand implementation.
- In collaboration with other departments (namely Programs staff, and Learning and Evaluation), gather information and produce communications‐related projects such as the web‐site, reports to donors, and internal communications.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the following:
- BS or BA in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations – or equivalent experience.
- 3‐5 years of experience working in a communications and/or external affairs function.
- A demonstrated interest in human rights/social justice.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to produce original, clear, concise content within tight deadlines; meticulous proofreader and copyeditor.
- Self‐motivation, with an ability to work proactively, independently, and with a strong sense of urgency.
- Experience interacting and communicating effectively with members of a complex organization at multiple levels.
- Ability to shift gears comfortably, flex skills, and multi‐task effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi‐task
- Strong moral compass; personal ethics and integrity must be impeccable.
- Collaborative focus, recognizing the value in fostering an environment which promotes shared communications, efforts and results.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Mailchimp and InDesign skills a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Wellspring offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners and qualified family members). Wellspring also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
How to Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com, with the subject line “[Your name] – Communications Associate”. All applications must include:
- a resumé (PDF);
- a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range) (PDF); and
- one writing sample (no less than 3 and no more than 5 pages, attached in PDF format). No phone calls please.