Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a full-time, one-year replacement faculty position in Mathematics at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor. The person holding this position will serve as a member of the university's college of healthcare fitness and science. The person will be responsible for teaching a variety of service courses in mathematics. Start date is mid-August 2018. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate will:
· Hold a minimum of a master's degree in mathematics.
· Have demonstrable, successful experience as a teacher at the college level (or demonstrable promise thereof).
· Be prepared to teach one or more sections of mathematics for the liberal arts, college algebra, and statistics, as well as one section of discrete mathematics, using technology appropriate to these courses.
· Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to engaged student learning.
Essential, ongoing responsibilities associated with the position include:
· Successful teaching and facilitation of student learning.
· Teaching 12 credit hours per semester.
· Working collaboratively with colleagues, within the department, the college, and across the university.
· Engaging in ongoing assessment activities.
· Acting in a professional and collegial manner (this includes: maintaining a regular and ongoing presence on campus, maintaining confidentiality as required, holding regular office hours, and being accessible to students and colleagues).
· Assuming other duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or negotiated.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and evidence-based pedagogical practice. All applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of four professional references. Original transcripts and background check will be required before the university makes an appointment.
Please submit materials electronically via email to Ms. Janet Hayen, Director of Human Resources, Dakota Wesleyan University at email@example.com. Please write Math in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Dakota Wesleyan University (DWU) is a private, comprehensive university affiliated with the United Methodist Church granting both bachelors and masters degrees. The University's mission is to provide a transformative learning experience that cultivates enduring intellectual growth, ethically grounded leadership, intentional faith exploration, and meaningful service. The University serves approximately 1,000 students from across the nation and around the world, including a significant number of first-generation students from the Great Plains region. Under the leadership of President Amy Novak (now in her fifth year), Dakota Wesleyan's profile is on the rise both regionally and nationally. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked Dakota Wesleyan as best value school in the Midwest and as one of the best regional colleges in the Midwest. In 2017, Dakota Wesleyan received a rank of "A" in Forbes Magazine's College Grades for Financial Health. The university boasts a new science center and fitness center and recently broke ground for a new residence hall to house its growing residential student population. In fall 2018, Dakota Wesleyan will introduce its Digital DWU initiative. This initiative focuses on creating learning opportunities for students that will prepare them to succeed in the digital world they will enter upon graduation. The initiative provides all students with iPads and supports faculty in utilizing technology to create a more engaging and inclusive educational experience for all students.
DWU is located in Mitchell, South Dakota, a town of 14,000, nestled in the heart of one of the country's finest outdoor recreation areas. Mitchell is the sixth largest city in South Dakota and home to the world's only Corn Palace. The University is within an hour's drive of Sioux Falls, one of the Upper Midwest's largest statistical metropolitan areas. It is within a six-hour drive of several major metropolitan areas (Omaha, NB; Minneapolis, MN; Kansas City, MO).
Dakota Wesleyan reserves the right to modify all job postings and job descriptions.