Asst. Scientist, Advanced Computing (Data Science)
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The Miami Institute for Data Science and Computing (IDSC) Advanced Computing team has a great job opportunity for an Assistant Scientist (Data Science) in advanced computing to work at the Coral Gables Campus.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Assistant Scientist evaluates new HPC architectures, systems, and software tools to determine best techniques for achieving performance, and provides scientific programming and technical support to faculty, students and research staff using high performance computers. The Asst. Scientist provides support for the installation, configuration, maintenance, and monitoring of Linux systems within a scientific research environment and also supports daily operations and helps develop strategies to improve user outreach and engagement.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
User Recruitment, Research Development, and Outreach:
- Serves as a research facilitator and works with potential users to engage with ACS services.
- Orients users on project and account creation and available IDSC allocations grants.
- Reviews user-facing documentation for accuracy and completeness and makes recommendations for improvement in organization or content.
- Collaborates with ACS operations group and/or IDSC administration on recommendations.
- Evaluates existing workflows and develops tools and strategies for accelerating advanced computing utilization through research and training.
- Creates new streams of research and training capabilities.
- Assists the Director with accounting, and policies for charge-back:
- Creates monthly accounting report on ACS service utilization for IDSC administration.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations for automation and/or other improvements to the accounting process.
- Designs, revises, and updates policies on allocation management strategies for accelerating research and innovation through advanced computing.
- Opportunity development for new user/usage identification:
- Develops queries and generates utilization reports.
- Estimates ROIs and develops recommendations on types of users to recruit.
Hybrid Cloud Engagement:
- Partners with UMIT in Azure cloud integration:
- Develops knowledge and skills to support IDSC resources in Azure.
- Tests and demonstrates selected applications in collaboration with ACS team.
- Identifies areas of interest for team training and research development.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Doctoral degree in a natural science or engineering discipline, or computer science/engineering required.
Minimum of 1 year postdoctoral experience in computational science and engineering, experience in research facilitation, and application support services. Experience in grant development is a plus. Research experience in computational chemistry, bioinformatics, or other engineering disciplines is preferred. Appropriate combination of relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Experience with bash scripting, high level languages such as C, C++, Fortran, and awareness or experience in data science using Python or similar programming environments.
- Experience with Perl or other scripting language.
- Demonstrated knowledge of parallel and distributed computing technologies including programming experience in MPI, OpenMP, Hadoop, Python, and related tools.
- Familiarity with back up and disaster recovery technologies.
- Experience or understanding in cloud computing, s, and virtualization technologies.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in an office and datacenter environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with and manage varied technical personalities.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Job Status:Full time
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*