Adjunct Lecturer - Computer Information Technology
Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology (BFIT) is a private, non-profit technical college located in Boston’s South End. Founded in 1908, the college is proud of its long tradition of educating students for skilled, high-demand technical careers in a variety of industries, including automotive, advanced manufacturing, computer technology, health care, and construction trades through a mixture of 1-year, 2-year, and 4-year programs. Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology recently received the largest gift in its history: $12.5 million from the Cummings Foundation to continue to advance its leading-edge work in creating technical career pathways for students typically underrepresented in post-secondary education.
Adjunct faculty are responsible for creating a learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Meeting all scheduled classes on the assigned day/time
- Regularly hold three office hours per week
- Notifying Department Chair of any absences from scheduled classes and providing instructional materials and directions to ensure consistent and sequential classroom instruction
- Participate in departmental curriculum development, and review and update course curricula when possible
- Demonstrate committed participation in student learning outcome assessment and college-wide initiatives, including data collection, analysis, curriculum changes, and goal setting
- Use of course texts, outlines, and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and department policies. When an established syllabus is provided and the course is a prerequisite for other courses, any significant deviations must be approved by the department chair.
- Respond to the chair and administrative requests in a timely manner and complete all responsibilities effectively; prompt in keeping appointments, attending meetings (when possible), beginning classes
- Respond to students in a timely manner
- Evaluate student achievement and provide feedback timely while maintaining accurate student records in the Canvas Learning Management System and CAMS faculty portal
- Provide adequate support to students and maintain a respectful, professional rapport
- Participation in communications with the college and department. This includes utilizing the college Dropout Detective Retention Solution warning system to alert advisors when students falter.
- Demonstrate effective teaching including preparation, meeting course goals, organization, and presentation of material, student involvement, and classroom management
- Collaborate with other college departments (academic, student affairs, enrollment, and development) for the mutual benefit of all departments.
- Maintain a culture of accountability and innovation; maintain the college policies and procedures, as outlined in the course catalog, employee and student handbooks
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized college or university with major study in the field which the person will be teaching.
- Experience: Two (2) years of teaching experience, preferably at the college level. Three (3) years
- industry experience may be substituted for teaching experience at the discretion of the Academic Dean and the hiring Department Chair. Experience level may be waived at the discretion of the Academic Dean and hiring Department Chair.
- Master’s Degree from a recognized college or university with major study in the field which the person will be teaching.
- Two (2) years of teaching experience at the college level and two (2) years of industry experience.
- Existing faculty may be grandfathered regarding the educational credentials required when hired.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Benjamin Franklin Cummings Institute of Technology complies with all state and federal guidelines that pertain to Covid-19. All employees must be fully Covid-19 vaccinated upon hire. Currently, BFCIT maintains a mask mandate for work and all on-campus events and activities.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
BFIT is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on any grounds protected under federal, state, or local law, including race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, disability (including those related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other characteristic or activity protected under federal, state or local law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*