Job Posting Title Student Personnel Assistant - Career & Job Opportunity Services (Temporary)
Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office)
Posting Number C00083P
The Los Rios Community College District is a two-year public college district serving the greater Sacramento region. Our district includes American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges; major centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova; and special services for business and industry.
Our colleges offer transfer education – students complete freshman and sophomore years and transfer to a four-year college or university – and AA/AS degrees and certificates in over 70 career fields. The District’s 2400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties. Approximately 75,000 plus students are enrolled in our four colleges and outreach centers.
The District office houses a number of district-wide services. These include the Chancellor’s office, Board Room, Legal Services, Business Services, Human Resources, Institutional Research, District Police Department, Resource Development and Information Technology. Other district-wide services which can be found at various locations around the community are the, Facilities Management Department and the Workforce and Economic Development Center. Each department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities for our communities and staff.
Under general supervision of assigned manager/supervisor, provides students with career and job opportunity services, and serves as liaison with public and private sector employers. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) posting click on the “Job Description” link on the left side of your screen, then click on “Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) Job Descriptions”.]
● Assists students in developing their educational and vocational objectives; refers qualified students to employers or employment services for placement; and conducts follow-up interviews with students.
● Orients students, individually or in groups, to available resources.
● Provides one-on-one student assistance with mock interviews, resume critiques, job searches, and using the Internet; and maintains confidentiality of information and materials.
● Assists in creating an aesthetic, warm atmosphere of acceptance; operates, maintains, and instructs large and small groups in the use and orientation of resources/equipment
● Presents workshops on career preparation topics; and administers computerized vocational interest inventories and career planning assessments.
● Researches and serves as liaison for administration of CalWORKS services when necessary.
● Oversees, trains, hires, and dismisses student assistants.
● Assists counselors and faculty with career education activities.
● Collects and evaluates information about students’ abilities, interests, and personality characteristics, using records, tests, and interviews.
● Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to assist students in making and carrying out vocational and educational objectives.
● Provides vocational and educational guidance training for students; and establishes and maintains relationships with employers and personnel from support service agencies to develop opportunities for students.
● Responsible for advertising the resources and programs provided including bulletin announcements, newsletters, flyers, handouts, display racks, and other visual displays, and assists with the development of the master calendar of events.
●Orders, reviews, catalogs, inventories, maintains materials, and prepares and updates lists of information and resources available.
● Creates, modifies, and maintains reports, records and forms used.
● Develops and maintains a database to track appointments; and develops and updates an employer database.
● Addresses community groups and faculty members to explain career services.
● Coordinates career fairs and other career-related events.
● Attends appropriate conferences, workshops and staff meetings as assigned.
● Performs related duties as required.
Workability III Program
For assignments within the Workability III Program, Student Personnel Assistant may also:
● Assist Workability III Counselor/Coordinator in educating students and clients on the skills needed to obtain and retain gainful employment; and informs students, clients, and college personnel of present and future employment opportunities.
● Interprets program regulations or benefit requirements to assist students in obtaining needed supportive services.
● Maintains student and client files, employer job files, and statistics of placement activities; and refers qualified students to employers or employment services for placement, including work study and student help positions.
● Works in cooperation with counselors, instructors, disability, and Learning Disability campus resources and/or other appropriate college staff.
Work Year N/A
To be determined.
Total Hrs per Week/Day To be determined.
EXPERIENCE: Two years in job placement, career planning or student personnel services, preferably in an educational or community college setting OR two years experience in employment development at a community-based organization. (One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement.) EDUCATION: Completion of an Associate’s Degree or 60 semester units (90 quarter units). NOTE: An additional year of qualifying experience may be substituted for up to one year of college education. Have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles. (Experience Requirement: one year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 12 units are equal to six months of education; 24 units are equal to one year of education.)
1. A completed LRCCD Classified Application (required).
2. *Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
3. Resume (recommended).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Salary $16.00 per hour LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Detail Information
Posting Date 12/08/2016
Open Continuously Yes
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.