Executive Assistant to the Vice President – Position Description
Office for University Advancement
This position is responsible for a variety of complex support and coordination activities for the
Vice President for University Advancement including day to day administrative duties while
maintaining professionalism, confidentiality and honesty. The Executive Assistant exercises
considerable discretion and judgment in performing assigned duties, utilizing a thorough
knowledge of administrative methods and procedures. This position must have an even
disposition with poised confidence and have the ability to effectively deal with people from
different backgrounds, experience levels and in all types of situations. Finally, the executive
assistant must have the capability to evaluate needs accurately and display good judgment in
working with our external partners. The Executive Assistant to the Vice President will support
the needs of the Vice President while assisting coordination efforts in support of the entire
Division of University Advancement.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Establishes and maintains the VP’s meeting schedule and calendar, as well as the office
• Schedules appointments and meetings as needed. Provides background information on
agenda items, and if required attends meetings and takes summary notes, drafts
memoranda or correspondence and follows up on action items to include but not
limited to the full meeting of the Board of Visitors, the Development Committee of the
Board of Trustees, Development Office Team meetings and Solicitor’s meetings.
• Processes travel and expense forms, purchase orders, advances and other internal
• Represents the University Advancement division through direct contact, email and
telephone communication, including campus partners, business contacts, donors and
Board members all while exhibiting tact, diplomacy and sound judgment.
• Sorts and processes mail, flags priority items for the VP’s review and forwards other
materials to appropriate staff members for reply.
• Interprets and applies specific operating policies and procedures in organizing,
monitoring and performing the administration activities of the Advancement office.
• Provides complex administrative support to the VP with much attention to detail and
the ability to multi-task.
• In support of the VP, maintains the division budgets, provides event planning for BOV
meetings, team meetings and other related events.
• Reviews and coordinates credit cards and statements for the entire division.
• Prepares and distributes a variety of correspondence, reports and other
communications to the campus community and the public that requires accuracy, high
speed production and tight deadlines.
• Assembles materials and information in an effective manner for review by the VP.
• Organizes and maintains a complex system of files and records for both electronic and
• Handles confidential and sensitive information and documents, including Endowments, gift instruments, and donor related correspondence and records.
• Implements creative solutions to a broad range of operational and procedural office and administrative situations that may require research, analysis and evaluation of information including Foundations.
• Demonstrates ability to effectively interpret, organize and present information and ideas in written or presentation form.
• Maintains lines of communications with university offices and staff
• Assists staff with coordination of publications production such as the Shorter Magazine along with special event coordination, including but not limited to the President’s Box, alumni and donor functions, groundbreakings and dedication ceremonies.
• Must have interest and passion in all aspects of Christian higher education, support the university in its relationship with the Georgia Baptist Convention, and be dedicated to promoting the university’s mission and fundraising priorities including, but not limited to, unrestricted annual fund support, facility revisions, campus improvements, scholarships, endowments, and professorships.
• Related duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred with five years of administrative experience required
• Ability to be flexible in a fast- paced environment.
• Thorough detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling, as well as proofreading abilities.
• Requires proficient use of MS Word, Excel and Raiser’s Edge software along with a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the vision and mission of the University and the QEP of the University.
• Experience communicating with faculty, staff, academic units, and administrative departments.
• Proven problem solving and interpersonal skills with experience providing complex, confidential administrative support across a variety of areas.
• Flexibility and adaptability to be able to work in a changing environment.
• Availability for some evening and weekend work related to special events and university meetings is required.
Apply today at the following link:
Shorter University is a Christ-centered University affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention and requires employees to be committed Christians.
Transforming Lives Through Christ