Program Manager II
Director of Diversity Education and Inclusive Excellence
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
DEI - Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Advertised Minimum Salary
Advertised Salary Range
$66,529 - $111,646
Location of Vacancy
Hours per Week
Normal work hours are 8:30am – 5:00pm Monday through Friday with one hour for lunch. Must be willing to work flexible scheduled as needed.
Type of Staff Position
Full-time Equivalent (FTE)
Job Search Category
Benefit Eligibility Type
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE)
South Carolina Retirement
State Insurance Programs
Advertised Job Summary
University of South Carolina’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( ODEI ) seeks a Director of Diversity Education and Inclusive Excellence.
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( ODEI ) at the University of South Carolina, leads and supports university-wide initiatives focused on the recruitment of a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, while fostering an inclusive and equitable university community. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion works closely with university students, faculty and staff to create and sustain an inclusive learning, living and working environment where all members of the university’s community feel that they are welcomed, valued and supported.
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the Director of Diversity Education and Inclusive Excellence develops, plans, and executes educational programming for faculty and staff at the University of South Carolina that promotes understanding and engagement on issues related to diversity and bias prevention, addressing emerging areas of need, and connecting emerging institutional initiatives to national best practices in equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Serves as a strategic thought leader that builds, maintains, and shares resources (tools, training opportunities, etc.) to increase capacity of the campus community to engage across difference. Through comprehensive campus engagement, supports the university’s commitment to fostering an inclusive learning and working environment. Assesses training needs through both systematic assessments and informal discussions.
Minimum Qualifications (Classified and Unclassified positions)
Master’s degree and 5 years related program management experience, including at least 3 years of experience delivering diversity and inclusion training. At least 3 years of supervisory/managerial experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Prefer PhD in adult education, psychology, social science or a related field and five years of relevant work experience in higher education or a non-profit organization.
Prefer prior experience leading educational workshops in a college environment. Program development experience in a research-intensive environment is strongly desired.
Demonstrated ability to work with campus partners to develop and sustain support for programmatic activities.
Demonstrated success in relationship building and a track record of leveraging resources to accomplish strategic objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural competencies in order to interact with a wide range of individuals, including staff at all levels, faculty and administrators.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills as well as overall aptitude for understanding and communicating about complex and sensitive diversity, equity and inclusion topics in ways that are interesting and relevant to a wide range of audiences.
- Knowledge of best practices for recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff.
- Ability to use quantitative and/or qualitative data to assess initiatives and inform decision-making.
- Strong supervisory skills to select, lead, and motivate professional staff (including student workers and volunteers) as well as a highly collaborative style with the energy, maturity and leadership to serve as a unifying force.
- Ability to develop strong relationships and internal partnerships to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to communicate transparently and respectfully.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to balance multiple demands, and with a strong focus on getting things done.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a collegial environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail for complex, detail-oriented work.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and across departmental boundaries in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to be organized, productive and effective in a dynamic environment, involved with a variety of simultaneous projects and workflows.
Safety Sensitive or Security Sensitive
Hazardous weather category
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
If Research Grant/Time Limited, give end date
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Positions are advertised for a minimum of five (5) business days on our job website. After five (5) business days, positions can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
We are only accepting applications submitted by December 21, 2020.
Quicklink for Posting
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have at least a master’s degree and 5 years related program management experience, including at least 3 years of experience delivering diversity and inclusion training. With at least 3 years of supervisory/managerial experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
List of References and Contact Information
Other Supporting Documents