Dean of Workforce Services
Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) is a public, open access institution of higher education in the Virginia Community College System whose main campus is located in Charlottesville, Virginia. As a comprehensive community college, the College provides quality, accessible, and affordable educational opportunities for the residents of the City of Charlottesville and the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson. PVCC is known throughout the community and the Virginia Community College System for its exceptional faculty and staff, the quality of its programs and services, and the success of its students. PVCC welcomes, encourages, and supports the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff members and seeks to attract and retain individuals who reflect our diverse community.
Piedmont Virginia Community College invites applications for the position of Dean of Workforce Services to oversee the college’s non-credit workforce training and development programs. Workforce Services provides high-quality instruction and hands-on skills that prepare individuals for in-demand careers in our region. The division offers professional development and continuing education, programs leading to licensure and industry certifications, and youth career awareness and exploration programs.
The Dean will develop and execute an innovative business plan to expand the College’s portfolio of customized services and programs for local business, industry, government, and the community, and advance the college’s position as the major player in the region’s workforce development agenda.
The Dean will collaborate with other division deans to create programming to include student pathways from non-credit to credit courses and programs. The Dean will work with Marketing and Media Relations to develop and implement the marketing plans to support the mission of the division and the college.
The Dean will partner with public and private sector entities and will anticipate and respond to the workforce training and development needs of the College’s service region. The Dean will be an active member of the professional community and will represent the College at workforce and economic development meetings and events.
The Dean will supervise and evaluate staff, prepare, manage, and monitor the division’s budget, and develop and manage grants assigned to the division. This position reports to the Vice President for Instruction and Student Services and is a member of the Instruction and Student Services Council.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution preferably in business or related workforce field
- At least three years in professional management in a corporate or academic setting
- Understanding and commitment to the community college mission and philosophy
- Knowledge of local, state, and national issues pertaining to economic and workforce development
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills with experience in mentoring and motivating faculty and staff
- Ability to market programs and ideas and to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to work as a team player and to build a highly effective working team
- Demonstrated skill in managing budgets and other institutional resources
- Doctorate from an accredited institution
- Community college experience
- Leadership of faculty or staff in a higher education setting specific to workforce and economic development
- Experience in managing grants and preparing required reports
- Experience with developing workforce programs and services
- Experience with developing and maintaining partnerships with local business and community groups
- Three years of progressive experience in community college teaching, administration, and/or program or curriculum development
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial approach to developing programs, enrolling students, and generating revenue.
The search will remain open until the position is filled. To be considered in the initial screening, apply online by September 7, 2020. Please note that only online applications are accepted.
The application packet must include all the following:
- State Employment Equity Initiative Application (Virginia Jobs Application)
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official Transcripts are required upon employment)
Review of applications will begin September 8, 2020.
References & criminal background checks required.
Piedmont Virginia Community College is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.
We value and support the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff. We seek to promote an understanding and appreciation of differences by creating an inclusive environment embracing individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and aspirations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Piedmont Virginia Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, sex, age or sexual orientation in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Human Resources Director, 501 College Dr., Main Building, Room M810, Charlottesville, VA 22902; 434.961.6567.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
Jamie L. Wills-Payne
| *Remember to mention academicjobs.net when applying for this job*|